Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 questions for u guys

AC_B-1Novice

ONE: Is there any way to keep grass from building up on a mower deck? My 54" cut with two hose connectors still clogs all the time and it is a job to take the deck off and clean it. I run the hose for 5 min on each bib (and they are working) and it does no good. TWO: The bar that runs across the deck ground level at the discharge adds to the problem, has anyone ever cut that off and run without it? I don't even know why it is there. Sure would like to know how to stop that mess collecting on my deck. larry

Not sure on 1. but on 2. The answer is yes you can remove it(usually with bolts) but it is not advisable as it is a structural brace against downward fatigue along the edge of the deck. Some do alright without but I have seen a lot crack from doing so.

Hey Josh...mine is bolted on one end and appears to be spot welded on the other. Where is it that it cracks? I'm not sure what downward fatigue means. Downward where? larry

Hello Larry, This time of year (around here) there is water grass (they call it) and it don't get out of the deck, The old b-series with the deep-decks do a good job, its takes till afternoon till it dries, but if there's dew on it or wet, it won't mow clean, I clean the underside of the mower with a putty knife, I don't know your mower deck, but I have a round-fender john deere-110 and it makes a mess of it..Good luck..

Hi, I don't know what mower you have. with a 54" deck if it is a Simplicity it would need to be a newer model unit. When I was commercial mowing with a Landlord and 3212 I shaped a 3/4 on one and 7/8 inch bar on the other to the curve of the flat bar across the discharge of the 42 and 48 inch mowers. Next I cut the flat bar out and replaced it with the round bar, centered with the path of the blade tip and welded it in. This maintained the support for the front of the housing, and protected you from turning into something like a stake and having it go right into the discharge opening and into the blade. It still stopped things like big rocks etc from flying out without unrestricted. Most importantly it stopped the grass from "piling up" behind that flat factory discharge guard piece. Al Eden

You could try powerwashing the deck underneath and applying a non-stick coating such as Mo-Deck or Toro T-10. It won't last forever but may help extend cleaning time. Continue to use the washout ports after each use to help stop buildup. Some grass fertlizers that make lush juicy grass are very hard on deck buildup - it will stick no matter what you do. The only thing in this case is to scrap it clean every time or blow it out with compressed air before it dries. A 4-6" wide paint scraper and car ramps to get under there quickly may be useful if you don't have a compressor. Simplicity decks detach pretty easily. You can slide it out from the tractor on a smooth surface like the garage or on blacktop and stand it up for cleaning and blade changing. Might as well get an extra set of blades and change them from time to time - maybe try different stlyes if they are available.

Well, this is on an MTD from TSC that my wife fell in love with. It does a good job but boy what pain cleaning clog all the time. I have a chain hoist I use to lift the rear of the tractor to scrape it but it take a universal burgler tool to get the stuff out. A lot of my grass is what was previously a pasture for about 100 cows and it grows super fast and does seem to be pretty wet. I think I'll try replacing the cross bar with a steel rod and see what happens. Thanks for all the help, it really helps. larry

wait for the grass to dry a bit, if you have the time. Cutting grass while the dew is still on it in north Alabama causes that problem. Lately we have had a daily shower, sometimes more than an inch at a time, grass is growing nicely. Try cutting higher than your normal height, then cutting to the normal height in a couple of days. I have been doing that here with decent results. I do not bag grass, nor does any of my neighbors. Two of them stopped by on Saturday to ask why I do not have huge clumps of cuttings in the yard, but have a recently cut yard. Plus, you'll have more time in the seat!

I only cut in the late afternoon/evening when the grass is fully dry. If i have to wait because of rain, I'll cut it higher, and then mow it again in a couple days. (more seat time!) I haven't tried any of the specailty coatings, but once a year I clean the bottom real good and repaint it. The smoother the surface, the less is going to stick to it. IMO sharp blades slice the grass cleanly, while dull ones beat at the grass, squeezig moisture out of it. I never get "clumps" mowing dry grass with sharp blades. The deep deck on my old Sovereign also helps. Mowing late in the day also gives the grass a little recovery time before the sun hits it again.

Best way I found to keep grass of the mower deck is to fence in the yard and get a couple goats or horses. They seem to keep the grass at bay and my mower deck stays clean. sm01 No in all seriousness I also wait until late afternoon when the grass is dry. I have also been told to try the spray you put on the deck but haven't tried it yet. Good luck.