Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bailey

"New" Blade for 4041 ....

Bailey
Picked up a "new" 48" box blade the other day off craigslist. Happened to see it just after it was posted for $150. Called the guy and he said he was out of town for the next two days, so made plans for when he got back. Got a bad feeling after I got off the phone, so checked my cash supply and called him back to see if I could come over that night. Get there and 10 mins later some other guy shows up to buy it, started on about how he drove 45 mins to get there ........ but I already had it in the truck!!! Good thing I called back!! Oh, and these things really don't ride well in the back of a 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder Ford Escape ....... Still using my fancy home-made shroud on the Onan ..... anyone happen to have the filter side tin?

SmilinSam
I'd be interested in hearing how it performs with the cutters down and digging. I had one of those exact same box blades on my GC2300 Massey sub-compact before I traded it all off for my current truck. It was all that tractor could handle tearing down the drive, and without 4WD it would not have handled it well.I always wondered how the 2wd powermax tractors would dowith it. Got a Cub Cadet Super right now and want a small box blade for that, but think one of these may be too much.

D-17_Dave
Sam, the box blade I built doesn't have the shanks but I had no trouble pulling it uphill with the box half or so full of dirt. I do have the wide floatation tires on it for max. traction but my blade is 60" wide also. I have done a fair amount of cutting with it with just the cutting edge without the need for the shanks. I do wish I had the shanks for digging roots and hard clay.

SmilinSam
The GC had no problem with dirt and the box scraping with the shanks up.It was with the shanks set down a couple inches in the gravel drive that going got real tough. I was thinking of building a 42" box for the Cub with 3 or 4 teeth. My gravel drive is about the only thing I need to do sections of with a boxblade each spring after the frost goes out.

Bailey
I've managed to bog it down a couple of times, but that box was full and I was digging in uphill. To complicate matters there is a patch of thin blacktop under the gravel in that area for some unknown reason. Otherwise it's done fine in second gear at about 3/4 throttle. My wife even thought it was worth the price when she saw the finished drive!!! That almost never happens ....... Oh ya .... Sam, you better sell that cub before you break it tryin' to do work with it !!!:D

Sign in to follow this