Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shoeman

Lost drive to rearwheels

Shoeman
:( My 2010 decided to stop moving under it's own power right in the middle of mowing the lawn. It runs, and the driveshaft from the motor turns. If I put it in gear and roll it the drive belt turns, but the rearwheels will not "speak" to the engine. I'd had a rattling sound for a while now, but I never could trace it down. Now I think it may have made itself clear as to where it was coming from. Any suggestions? TIA, Geoff

Shoeman
Not sure what you mean by the axle. I can roll the tractor by pushing and see the pulley attached to the rear end and what I assume is the drivebelt to the drive pulley turn. And I can reach in and turn the shaft from the engine to the gearbox by hand with the tractor in gear and nothing else moves.

larry8200
I had the set screw on the BGB's front coupler come loose, and the key fell out causing exactly the same thing, except I was blowing snow. If you roll it in gear and the drive belt turns, everything back there is connected and it has to be the BGB or coupler. That rattling sounds like the coupler, but your going to have to drop the drive shaft one way or another to find out which.

larry8200
Could be the disk, but when the rear disk lets go completely at speed and the driveshaft is still connected to the engine, dramatic things tend to happen, like the unsupported driveshaft flailing around, possibly followed by the destruction of the front coupling.

Shoeman
It was at speed, that's for sure, but no catastrophic destruction of any type was evident like a driveshaft flailing around OO Time to Gunk the thing and start a teardown I guess. Dang. I've had clean hands for so long now too....

Shoeman
Wow! From looking at your picture we're almost twins! Weird city. That link is for paid members only, which I am not yet. Is there actual teardown/rebuild info there? If so it would be worth the cost.

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by Shoeman
Wow! From looking at your picture we're almost twins! Weird city. That link is for paid members only, which I am not yet. Is there actual teardown/rebuild info there? If so it would be worth the cost.
illustrated Step by step dis-assembly and re-assembly directions. Just the member only forums are well worth the $10 annual fee. I paid 2 hours after I found this place. :D

perry
it could be as simple as the outer coller that holds the hub on the right side. if it comes loose the hub will slide out of the planetary gear. something to check. but sounds like the BGB went out.

donmoore1904
I am in the middle of a bevel gearbox service on my 3410. I am not familiar with your tractor, and what differences there may be. If it is the BGB, I can tell you I kind of enjoyed tearing mine out. On my tractor, the right shaft drives the tranny, and is short, and the left is the PTO, and three times as long. Therefore, I took the left plate off, thinking it would be easier to negotiate the BGB out. Start by removing the drive shaft and coupling. Then taking the pulleys on both sides off. On mine, the PTO wouldn't clear the left tire, so I pulled that off. I have a couple of small jack stands, and one of those was perfect under the axle. My pulleys came off easily; the PTO assembly has two small bolts. The brake linkage had to be disconnected at this point, the brake band removed and the PTO lever link pulled to allow the PTO assembly/pulleys to come sideways. There are four bolts to the BGB from the front under the frame. Then three from each side plate. There are three bolts at the back to the tranny. Remember (I didn't) that removing those four bolts disconnects the back end from the frame (oops). So put a jack under the center of the tractor just ahead of the BGB - I used a large wood block under both foot rests and a hydraulic jack. Crack the six bolts from the side plates and the four underneath. Take the left three bolts out, the three at the back to the tranny, and pull the plate off (wow!) Now I made sure the front was supported, and slid it forward 1-1/2 inches so the BGB front shaft cleared the frame. Then, while supporting the BGB with the left hand, pulled the three right bolts with the right hand, and slid it out. Now I have to figure out how to service it! Good luck.

rsnik
Geoff, Check eBay for sellers of manuals. I have a 2010 and I bought an original dealership service and repair manual in good condition years ago. Don't remember what I paid, but I would remember if it was too expensive and I bet they are getting cheaper now. The manual is very helpful at times, but at other times it obviously assumes the tech is looking at and is very familiar with the tractor, so the info strikes me as a bit sketchy at times. The manual is particularly helpful with tear down as it tells you what to do in what order. Not so much with assembly; it too often says "reverse of disassembly".

HubbardRA
I had a BGB go out on my AC713S a couple years ago. I just bought a used gearbox and put it in the tractor. About 1/4 the price to rebuild and not hard to install. I would not rebuild one if I could find a good used one. In fact, I also purchased a spare BGB after having the first failure.

Shoeman
Back from the dead! BGB rebuilt with good used parts thanks to this forum. Got it running today, and of course we got about 8" of snow, which figures. It was a real challenge filling the transmission with 90wt gear oil at 29 deg F ambient temp. Warming the oil in front of the propane heater along with a light bulb next to the funnel/hose used to make the turn into the hole helped, but it still took several hours. I'd put other parts together as the oil warmed, fill some until it thickened up again, set it to warm and go back to assembling. Got the snowblower back on too. Now after sitting most of the summer the governor circuit does not work well at all, so it stalled in the driveway as I engaged the snowthrower. Had to push it back into the garage under my own power on a fairly ice path. No need for the gym tomorrow, I'll feel that in the AM XX( So now it's a carb clean I guess. Any tips?