Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Sickle mower - Bar

SmilinSam
Working on a 46" sickle mower for my hybrid tractor. Got it all apart and have a question. Is the bar itself that caries the rock gaurds and everything else supposed to be flat, or is there supposed to be a slight arc to it? This one is bowed a little with the arc up. If its laying on a flat surface the center is 7/16" off the table. So, if its supposed to be flat I'm going to have to find a suitable wa to flatten it out without making the situation worse. The real shame here is I used to have a bar laying around here, but seems I threw it out.

CarlH
I think I have a partially assembled bar around someplace. Let me find it and take a look. I will also put a straight edge next to the bar on my planetary sickle to see if it is straight.

CarlH
My planetary bar (completely assembled and mounted) is straight. A B-series bar (with rock guards only) is bowed down about 3/16". A bar with rock guards, etc would probably be a bit more rigid than a bar without anything mounted(??). Like Bob, I have noticed the bar flex when lifted with a wad of green stuff on the end.

SmilinSam
This bar has nothing bolted to it at present, is removed from the rest of the mower, and it is sitting on a flat metal table . The ends are touching the table while the center is 7/16" abovethe table. Seems a bit much to me. Might try to take some of that bow out before I paint and re-assemble.

Simpleton7016
I have torn apart 6 or 7 of these now and all had a little bow in them. 7/16 might be a little much. I think a lot of times they would lean against a wall for a decade or more. In the cases where it was bowed that much, I would prop them up on the points where the concavity began, and place weights (alot, sometimes 3-4 hundred pounds worth) on them and leave them for a week or more until I got the bow down to either straight or a quarter inch or so. They all still functioned fine at that.