Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LAGC Magazine

timflury

Does anyone suscribe to this magazine??? I just got my issue and theres an article in it that contains some of our members!!! Jfrank1962 and our treasurer Mike Biery are in the article just to name a few. Nice machines guys!! Here's the site, http://www.antiquetractormagazine.com/

I subscribed and got five or six issues. Kinda neat but the only this allis I saw was a single picture in a collage. I believe it was a 900 series. I wasn't too impressed.:(

quote:
Originally posted by captainweezy
I subscribed and got five or six issues. Kinda neat but the only this allis I saw was a single picture in a collage. I believe it was a 900 series. I wasn't too impressed.:(
Yea, I was the same way! What bothers me more than anything is almost all articles are continued into the next one or more issues and since it's bi-monthly, I forget some of the details of the last article and always need to find the old issue and re-read the article again. I understand that some articles are too large to fit in one issue and it also gives the readers a reason to want to get the next issue, but I think the readers would want it more if you could read the entire article of say the featured tractors in one issue and have the restorations and tech articles more as a series! Dan

I've gotten every issue and do enjoy the magazine with all the different brands but......Extreme Massey makeover part 12 (yawn, sigh) seriously! sm00 sm00

More of us here need to submit our stories and pics. Kate would like to get more stories and pics of the Allis and Simplicity equipment. She gets bombarded with Cub Cadet and John Deere stories and pics.

I subscribe to this magazine and I am also the featured collector this month. Jonathan Mole with the AC Collection. Just as you are saying though, the story is to be continued next edition. :)

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Does anyone suscribe to this magazine??? I just got my issue and theres an article in it that contains some of our members!!! Jfrank1962 and our treasurer Mike Biery are in the article just to name a few. Nice machines guys!! Here's the site, http://www.antiquetractormagazine.com/
Thank You :)

I tried for over a year to help with some articles and after a great first contact I could never get a return call. I gave up after seeing the article of Deere being the first with a sub-compact tractor and dropped my subscription.

I get it and have for a little over a year. It's just so so. I have no interest in Deere's or Cubs and that's what is in it most. I went to the show in June, rained to much to be real good.

Johnny, I apologize for forgetting about you in my original post. I was at home and I left my magazine at work for the other tractor nutz to :drl over. I look forward to the next issue to see your stuff. Now MY opinions about LAGC. I will remain a subscriber. Because of Kates location, it seems that the magazine's advertising of shows remains in the Ohio, Indiana, Illinois area. We all know that there are good shows all over the country that do not make it to the pages of LAGC. As far as the brands that are most represented, we need A LOT more guys to flood Kate with story ideas. It seems that the Deere and Cub guys are doing just that. The featured tractors that I have seen in my past three issues have been completely torn down, sandblasted and carefully painted and reassembled. Now c'mon here guys, even my tractors are not "trailer queens" and the chances of getting some photos of mine in any vintage tractor magazine are somewhere south of slim to none, unless I embark on a major teardown. Kate is looking for a lot more story ideas. This hobby of ours is growing quickly and if she wouldn't have started a magazine like this, someone else would have.

Tim, you are absolutely right about Kate. As I said in my earlier post, she needs more of our stories from this site. She wants to make the magazine a success.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
I tried for over a year to help with some articles and after a great first contact I could never get a return call. I gave up after seeing the article of Deere being the first with a sub-compact tractor and dropped my subscription.
Dave, I understand how you feel. I would try again. There is some different and agressive momentum driving the magazine now. You have done alot of good and unique things with your Allis and Simplicity equipment. I know Kate would like to hear about your equipment and the stories behind it.

Cub Cadet and John Deere are the best known brands to the average person and there's no getting around that. A newbie just getting into the hobby would probably choose them so the magazine naturally has more articles and features about them. Just wander into a Deere dealership and look at all the non tractor stuff they have like peddle tractors, mugs, mail boxes, etc. It's tough to overcome that. If I remember correctly I think LAGC was dedicated to John Deere before they included all makes and changed their format. Still our tractors are better looking and better running than those brands, just have to keep putting the word out.

I am a decently interested subscriber and going into year 2. It is more Deere and Cub yes, but I recall a nice full-page pic in a past issue with a nicely restored 64 LL:D One thing to keep in mind too is that the Wheelhorse/Cub/Deeres don't have quite as nice a database of information at ready access:p I personally find the other-brand information interesting for a change of perspective.(My inlaws are Deere typessm00)

I recently found out that if you need a manual of any sort for your Deere, you would also need to pony up some $$. They have no online archive like Simplicity does.

Indeed. My grandmother was a Deere fan until she had to pay $15 bucks and sign a bunch of special order forms to get the operator manual for her lawn tractor, only to find it was 10 pages in english for a 100 pg book.