Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Kohler 12HP - gas leaking thru?

OrangeMetalGuy
I have a 12hp (K301?) in the 712H. I put a gas shutoff valve in and am sure to close it off as soon as I kill the engine. However, my oil (recently changed twice to rid it of the PO's sludge) quickly turns black and smells of gas. Is it just the oil cleaning the engine (meaning several more changes necessary) or can I be leaking gas through while the engine is running? Or just the residual in the carburetor after I close off the valve? The valve is right underneath the carb so the gas in the line should be minimal. My K341's oil stays nice and clear for quite a while after a change.

mike_sdak
I have a k321 (14Hp) on a JD 140. Several times, it has leaked thru the float valve (silly walbro carb with non-replaceable valve seat). In those times, it appeared as though the gas only came out of the air cleaner. Now, I close the fuel valve every shutdown. I also have a KT-17 on my 917, with the carb above the engine. Gas did leak thru the carb in the past, and when it did, it went into the oil. I think the mounting position on the k-series singles prevents the oil contamination from happening, but I could be wrong about that.

3314WV
If the oil looks like it is thinning i would agree that you may have a contamination issue with gas. If gas is coming through the piston bore you should be getting some blow by to the crank as well.