Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 rear pto

mech123

how can i tell if mine is "working" i have asked around and hav been told that most of these have had the guts removed.. i have the dash switch... i can feel the splined connection.... when i changed and bled the hydraulics, the seat was removed to do this... short of removing that top plate and verifying that a clutch is in there... i dont see any wires coming from the "case" back there.. i actually have 2 of these tractors.. 1973 and a 1974. research showed me the 1973 was a Research and Development tractor.... on the model number plate it says 1973 RD

not quite enough info here. It is a really quick task to remove the top cover. or.. If you have battery power watch the ammeter when you flip the rear PTO switch. And of course if it runs, just flip the switch on and look. But I'd have a look under that plate first.

If I understand your comments correctly, the top plate your referring to is the transaxle cover plate over the rear gears. The shafts for the gear reduction are normally there but under the cover with the gear selection decal is located is where the shaft and clutch are. If you know what to feel for you can reach a few fingers under the raised area at the rear of this cover and forward of the hub you can feel the clutch assembly. It's the same as the front clutch so you get the physical dimensions. If you think it's there then to verify it's operation, with the engine off and the ignition switch on turn on the rear clutch and listen for it to click in.