Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CDeHeer

Strange Occurrence LL 3310V

CDeHeer
This past weekend I was preparing to mow so I pulled out the LL ran for a few minutes then went to shut down while I iced a small cooler. When I turned the key off it continued to run very slowly I turned the key on and it fired back to normal idle. After a couple more cycles with the key it did shut down. If I tapped or wiggled the solenoid it would start cranking again until I cycled the key again. I cleaned up the switch with electric parts cleaner with the same result. I replaced the solenoid and this has not re-ocurred. Next issue, I mowed for about an hour and shut down for a few minutes. When I went to restart it cranked for several seconds and backfired right before firing. Any ideas?

rsnik
Chris, Your ignition switch disables a kill wire which grounds out the magneto ignition coil which gets charged by a magnet in the flywheel when you turn the switch "on". If the engine does not stop when you turn the switch "off", the connections are loose or corroded or the switch is worn out; you can replace the ignition switch with an appropriately rated switch of the type that turns your lights on and off. Backfiring before starting means that you cranked the engine over, it did not start before the engine at least partially flooded, letting fuel/air mix escape out the exhaust valve into your muffler. The fuel in the muffler exploded. This can mean you need a general tune up or may just mean you need fresh gas, perhaps with additives such as Sea Foam or Lucas to improve your carbs ability to atomize fuel and air better. Hope this helps.

CDeHeer
I beleive it was the S/G turning it over slowly as well. So the contacts AL refers to are in the voltage regulator? I have a spare from another 3310V I got of ebay. Should this sync up with the S/G if I simply swap it in? The backfire description sound right on however I do shut the fuel off before I shut down. Sounds like I May need a plug.