Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Sand Blasting!!

MPH
When I redid the B112 I used a wire wheel in a 4 in grinder, got the job done but decided to order a 39 dollar speedy blaster from too crib which showed up after I was done. cut the tape on the box when I cleaned up my 10.5 rims for the new lug tires a year later. My carpenter Emglo air compressor didn't keep up real good but it sure cleaned the rust out the pits nice and the paint came off much easier than the wire brush. Wonder what some of you use who have these beauties in the gallery I was just passin a rainy evening lookin though. MPH

JDSnyder
I'm getting ready to use one of those cheap blasters on the (john deere) tractor I'm starting to restore. Notice I listed the name in parentheses and lowercase. I hope it works easier than sanding.

JimDk
I swerved into a great alternative for removing rust and paint from heavier parts.It is a 4" flapdisc.It does not leave grooves like a 4" grinding disc and is faster than a wire brush.A little caution is needed when the disc is new as too much pressure will remove some metal.The flapdisc is also good for roughing down JB Weld and body filler.I bought mine from an industrial supply house.

schaefer72
Hi i thought i would pass on a couple things i have learned sandblasting my a.c. b-10 - dont waist your money on siphon feed sandblaster they are only good for very small jobs - most of the air pressure is used to suck the sand out of the bucket thus less air to throw the sand at your intended part - i bought an $100 pressurized sandblaster and it works 100% better - dont use regular sand - it contains silica which when inhaled leads to lung problems - i went to the local sandblasting shop and got a mineral called garnet it is stonger and more abrasive than sand and contains only trace amounts of silica i would still recomend wearing a mask it gets very dusty - garnet can be used over and over many times before it starts to break down and loose its grit - i used around a 40 grit its fairly ruff stuff some might want to choose 50 or 60 - 40 grit worked great for removing paint and rust very quickly and still left a very smooth surface for painting - the biggest problem i had was air pressure and volume the sandblaster uses huge amounts of almost constant air pressure - i ended up having to use 2 compressors at once in order to have suffient volume - another problem i had was dust - i built a medium sized blasting box with a vaccuum attached to suck out the dust - i had seen plans on the internet - dont waist your time - it just couldnt keep up - the more you reuse the blasting material the dustier it becomes - after recycling it several times i couldnt see a thing two seconds after i started - i ended up just just getting a large tarp out on the lawn and sandblasting outside this way the wind carried away all the dust - it worked great - i still used a 3 sided box to help contain the sand it goes everywhere - as long as you dont get other junk in it just sweep up the rest and reuse it - i also ended up puting my reused garnet through a home made stainer before loading it back into the blaster - even small pieces of junk clogged the blasting tip fairly easily - the last item i had to deal with was learning to adjust the valves on the blaster so it used just the right amount of sand for the air pressure i was using - to little and the job takes all day - to much and you spend all your time reloading the blaster - anyway it has taken some trial and error to get it working - but it is worth it the parts look great after painting - good luck -

dlcentral
Around here they sell a thing called Black Beauty in 3 different grits which is steel slag.Also no silica and this stuff is very good at rust and pitting,and can be used many times over.I've found with the cheap blasters if you elevate the sand container higher than your work. they work a lot better.But the pressure ones are much better.