Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rear wheel removal on my 5211

ecj326

I am trying to remove the trans from my 5211. Any ideas on how to get the right rear wheel off from the axle ? It's stuck

stuck to the hub? generally i just kick it on one side it comes off. or leave bolts in somewhat and beat them a bit. if all else fails, well i hate to but ive put the tractor on a small jack stand set just so the wheel grips and try to work it off with the power of the machine. that was a one time thing without much for tools. i don't recomend it, but it is a option, only as a last resort. very dangerous.

HI, These are often a problem. We usually shoo some carb. or brake cleaner on them. Next we use a concave curved end chisel in the air chisel. Sometimes this works. Next we try some penetrating oil and repeat the chisel. We get the chisel on the inside and on the hub over the key wayand pound at about a 45 degree angle.. If that fails we try some heat with the blue wrench. Next we have a plate with two tapped holes in it and a U cut out of the center. This plate just clears the axle and gets the Pull near the weld on the hub. Two bolts go from a 2 jaw puller with the jaws removed and the bolts with washers going from the puller head to the plate behind the wheel disk. Some times it works and sometimes it pulls the wheel disk right off the hub. Then we take the cutting torch and cut the hub off. When cutting the hub off, you want to cut the side of the hub and just let the cut run to the axle. This way you won't cut into the axle. You could use a small right angle grinder with one of the thin cupped flat disks with the thin edge for cutting and split the hub and air chisel in the cuts to open it up and free it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is a common problem if these wheels and axles weren't coated with anti- seize in the past. Good luck Al Eden

a torch hasn't helped? did you heat it up real well all the way around the hub area? then hit the back of the hub? sometimes hitting the back of the hub can help. other wise, another not so great idea. is block the tractor well and find way to use a large bar to pry at the wheel work it all the way around. i suggest putting some of the lug bolts in so it doesn't throw you when it pops off. if your not concerned about the rim, get a sledge and beat the tar out of it till it comes off. that is usally the way they come off of my steel wheeled cars anyway. sometimes letting a good penetrating oil soak for a day or two can help alot. let it do its thing come back when you are not frustrated and try again.

Well........It's off, now I need an axle and a wheel. or a transmission w/axles. It's a 801-019 trans. Any ideas ?

I made a puller to get the wheels off a donor 637 I got last year. I could have shipped him the tool.

I used PB Blaster, MAPP gas, and wax. It took over an hour to each wheel off.

I made a puller simialar to yours and no matter how hot I got it, It wouldn't budge. Eventually I started tapping around the wheel with a hammer and the axle ended up bending. A that point the game was on and it won. I have now located the parts and it's on the road to recovery. (I hope )

Well, I breathe a breath of fresh air knowing now that you were able to find the replacement parts to get your machine back up and running. I wish your tractor a speedy recovery:D:D