Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mellenheads

Questions Regarding Simpliciy Model 17GTH-L

mellenheads
I just picked up a 17GTHL tractor from the orignal family that owned it. In relatively good shape but needs some maintenance. I am not familiar with simplicity tractors but it's obvious they are well built. I am having trouble determining what year the tractor is and the engine model/spec number (decal is not there). It is all orage, with blue strip in hood decal and says soverign. Has a Kohler series 2 engine. I am hoping someone can help determine the age of the tracor, engine number (i need to order some engine parts and dealer won't try without it) and was wondering if these engines are inherently a little noisy. It does not smoke and does not look abused in any way, but makes a little noise. Also, the front of the deck is bent back at an angle on the bottom edge on both left and right side. it is bent past its normal stage but wonder if it didn't come with a bend from the factory, or should it be straight horizonatal? Sorry for the silly questions...I cannot find much to compare it to on line. Thanks

Burntime
I have a 17GTH-L, its 17hp Garden Tractor Hydro Lift. Its a 7117 sovereign. I believe mine is a 1992. Keep the oil full and change it often and it will serve you well. Noise? Not sure.

mellenheads
Engine noise is nothing harsh or heavy knocking but some clatter. Another thing I noticed is the turn radius is much tighter to the right than the left...is this normal? Do you know what your engine code is? Thanks

PhanDad
My 17GTHL tractor had a broken rod when I got it so now it's a 16GTHL. I couldn't read the engine nameplate so I don't know for sure what the engine spec number is. However, my local Simplicity dealer was using spec #24343 when he looked up some part prices for me before I decided to replace the engine. The Simplicity Engine Reference only lists engines through 1985; it can be found here: http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/engine/engine_ref.htm I also picked up a 7117 Sovereign which also has the KT17 series II engine and I couldn't read the nameplate info on that one either. There are many spec #s for that mfg #169571 depending on which update year info you look at; the 1984 update lists spec #24305 and the 1985 update lists spec #24343. If you look at the parts book, most of the parts identical for these two spec numbers. As to the deck, the leading edge should be approx 90 deg from the top. The discharge should have a stoneguard on the leading edge, but many times when the leading edge of the deck gets back, the left blade hits the stone guard and the stoneguard is removed. The Simplicity mfg# for your tractor is 1691957 and the corresponding 48" deck is #1691219. You can get electronic operators and parts manual by typing these numbers into the box at the top right of the club's home page: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp And you should join the club, there's lots more info available in "members only" forums.