Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

64 Landlord Briggs 23D

bowhunt4life

I am planning on rebuilding the Carb on Wednesday but really don't want too if I don't have to do a rebuild. It takes some work to get the motor to pop and then I use starter fluid to get it going. Once running I have to feather the choke for a while. Once running she seems to go "Brrrr Ummmmm Brrrr Ummmm Brrrr Ummmm" like it is idling hi than low, hi than low. I took a 10 second clip with my camera phone and posted on You Tube; Please take a listen and see if you can help me diagnose any issues. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvFGWCb18M[/url] Thank You!

Negative. I am not very mechanically inclined which is why this site has been a HUGE help for me. Being able to draw on the members expertise is helping me A LOT! How do I adjust the Carb?

Flojet adjustment .... If the upload works ...[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=briggsetc&file=58581"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url] Gary

With the engine sitting at idle, turn the idle adjustment screw whichever way makes it run smoother. When you get it running smooth, then turn the screw each way till it runs rough and set it halfway between. The idle screw comes straight out the side of the carb. Now that you have set the idle, you need to adjust the main jet. This is the one that comes out of the fuel bowl at about a 45 degree angle. Increase the engine speed and if needed adjust the main jet so that it runs smooth. Keep increasing the speed till you get it to Wide-open-throttle. At Wide-open-throttle adjust the jet to each side till it runs rough then set in the middle. Then you need to go back and adjust the idle circuit again. At this point check for engine acceleration. Open the throttle quickly to see how the engine responds, if it hesitates or stumbles you need to turn the main jet slightly counterclockwise to richen the mixture. Richen it just enough to stop any hesitation. You may need to adjust the idle mixture again at this point.

I believe Ringo Starr said it best;
quote:
I get by with a little help from my friends
Thanks guys as I just adjusted my carb and all appears to be well. I am just waiting for my seat pan paint to dry and will be cutting the lawn on sunday. Thank you, thank you, thank you!