Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

best way

osenga

I am going to put the S/G back on the B12 this weekend and have all my stuff ready to go . But what is the best way to get the belt on it since it hace the hydro lift and eveything is all tight in there . I am really not wanting to dismount the whole tractor to do this project here and would like to make it simple as I can . Any ideas would be Great

take the shifter plate off so you can unbolt the driveshaft back at the BGB. then slide the belt over the shaft up to the front. take the right side panel off for if needed.

Sounds like a trick of the trade to me! The B-12 should have a straight key BGB and a hole in the pan directly under so that you can loosen the set screw on the yoke and then, after removing the side plates, take a purchase on the drive shaft with a monster set of channel locks and tap the drive shaft back (God willing) and it will move back as the yoke slides back on the straight key (it says here in fine print). Your method sounds better, only don't you have to remove the dash to remove the shifter plate? I dunno. I installed a points eliminator and it worked today so I am temporarily feeling like an expert. :)

i have a b10, i had to remove the dash to remove shifter plate, can you get at the nuts @ bolts at the motor side of the drive shaft i think thats easier, i could be wrong

well I had to pull the das loose to get the drive shaft unhooked . but I can say it is tore down and that was kinda more then i thought it would be but great tractor time . The worst part was i put the s/g on and got it mounted and went to put belt on and you cant guess wrong size and i measured with a rope and went to get it wow dont fit so I measured it again same thing so i measured the belt i had it is wrong . SO I will return and hope to get the correct one tomorrow hope this all get done this weekend . But if not darn sure will be nice to get on it push the button to go and not have to pull start it no more LOL

rm thats the way I did it found out to be a whole lot better . but asking here first is always a good answer to what i need to know before i tear into it and just keep learning from there

I have replaced them by taking the drive shaft loose from the engine. with the spacers out you can slip the belt on,then all you have to do is fight the spacers back in place. It beats tearing half the tractor apart just to replace a belt. Rots of Ruck.

ya that is what I pretty much but had to loosen the dash up . I was fighting with the pump for the hydo lift . ANd I hate to say but it was winning there for awhile then I beat it . Now have to wait and see how easy it goes back together hope it dont take as long this round. But if it does it will be just a good day working on it . And the frame is getting cleaned up in there as i go to so it is all for a good cause too.

To me it seems easier to just pull the engine out instead of removing the whole dash and shifter cover. Just some bolts, a little wiring, and throttle/choke cables and its out. Almost forgot gas line lol. It may just be because I'm used to pulling the engines out and I think I'm starting to like doing it lol. Call me crazy but I like getting a little extra tractor time.

quote:
Originally posted by perry
take the shifter plate off so you can unbolt the driveshaft back at the BGB. then slide the belt over the shaft up to the front. take the right side panel off for if needed.
thats the way i did it on my landlord with the hydro pump and right hand lift arm. not much room from the sides with both lifts on. on the others i have loosen the shaft at the engine and fought the spacers back in. use a pair of long needle nose pliers to hold the spacers.

well here is a update !!!!!!!!!!!!! If anything else can go wrong today i think it will noticed the S/G bracket was loose went to tighten it up and broke both bolts off in the block so had to drill out and tap new holes . But it is back on and have it mounted again put the belt on it hooked up the wires threw me some jumper cables to it and hit the button and it started right up well so now all that is left is hook drive shaft back up and bolt the dash back on and hope i dont have parts left over but other than that i might rebuild the cab on it next week since it leaks some but it sure beats pull starting it since it is cold blooded

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
No project is ever completed properly if you don't have a couple of bolts or washers left over!
A Buddy of mine was working on his John Deer and in the process he lost his wedding ring. I told him to check his work he probably used it for a washer, he didn't think it was funny,but I'll bet he checked anyway.:D