Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SimplyAC

6211 rebuild/refurb

Recommended Posts

SimplyAC
Hey guys! Just wanted to share some pictures with you all as I start a rebuild of my 6211. This will probably be the longest rebuild thread ever since it will take me into the winter. This all started with a mechanical malfunction of my 6211 - the end of the drag link snapped off right where it is drilled out for the ball end where it attaches to the steering gear.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4822581788_aa4729048c_b.jpg[/img]
After I put it into the shop to try to figure out what I should do with it, my brother-in-law bought a brand new John Deere lawn tractor (I know, no accounting for taste!) and wanted to know if I could go with him to pick it up since I have a trailer. After getting it to his house and off loaded, he wanted to know if I could help him sell his old tractor which is a 17.5 hp 42" cut Troy-Bilt vari-drive. I said yes and we loaded it onto my trailer and I took it home figuring that I would put it in our garage sale that we were planning. Short story long, it now joins my wife's brand new troy-Bilt Pony as part of the lawn care fleet on our farm. Okay, back to the main story. Since it was down because of the busted steering and now with it's replacement on duty, I decided to take the transmission out of it because I've been running it without 2nd gear. Well, 2nd gear is there - it just wouldn't stay in gear. It wasn't till after getting the 6211 up on jackstands and getting the rear wheels and seat deck off, I thought maybe it might be fun to share some pictures with you all.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4821963261_32cb964f56_b.jpg[/img]
With no instructions and a lot of head scratching, I finally managed to get the rest of the sheet metal disengaged and the transmission removed!
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4822806204_638eb70834_b.jpg[/img]
Wow, look at the topsoil on the rear frame!
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4821963881_6997ca140e_b.jpg[/img]
I'm not completely sure but, I might just go ahead and take the rest of it down to the frame and do a repaint and new decals. We are into our busiest time right now with the gardens and canning plus we run a small produce stand so I wont have time to stay with this project, I'll just have to work on it a little at a time. And I'll try to remember to take pictures as I go along. I have already done a re-power on this tractor a couple of years ago. It is technically a 6212 as I replaced the old worn out 11 hp with a brand new Briggs 12 hp PowerBuilt engine that I got a deal on.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4822582016_a106a73f7a_b.jpg[/img]
So that's where I'm at right now. Next step is to crack open that transmission and see what's up with 2nd gear and to find another drag link that won't cost me an arm and a leg! Mike sm06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michiganmobileman
If the drag link is the same as a 4211 I have one in the shed would be fairly cheap, $5.00??OK. My Aunt and Uncle are due up this Sunday for a picnic. they are from Kalamazoo, and I could send it home with them and make arrangements for you to pickup at their home, save the shipping cost. Let me know, Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SimplyAC
Hey Greg! I looked it up and there are 2 different part numbers - 1668663A for the 6211 and 1667249 for the 4211 so I'm assuming they are two different parts? If you want to check dimensions I've got measurements and pictures. If you lay it on the floor and measure straight across from one end to the other it comes out to about 23" [img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4823595315_f658a54b74_b.jpg[/img]
If you measure each section starting from the the end that mounts at the front axle, it is about 6" to the first bend. [img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4824209940_3a16179f25_b.jpg[/img]
From the first bend to the second bend, it is about 3 and 1/2". [img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4823595845_416e23c94b_b.jpg[/img]
And from the second bend to the end is about 14 and 1/2". [img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4823596083_256da8be9f_b.jpg[/img]
The rod diameter is about 5/8" and the holes are about 3/8". Thanks for your time Greg, I really appreciate it! Mike sm06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SimplyAC
quote:
Originally posted by briggs9498
Your half way there I say tear it down completely and paint everything thing, you'll like the result. Your off to a good start, keep us posted with pics.
Hey Fred! I guess it wouldn't take a whole lot to tear it down the rest of the way, so I suppose I should just go ahead and do it! After all, it only takes time (which I have plenty of) and money (which I DON'T have plenty ofC)! Mike sm06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SimplyAC
Well, Greg's offer didn't work out. So for reference, the drag link from a Simplicity 4211 and a 6211 are different dimensionally. I just want to thank Greg publicly for his offer and time! dOd Live and learn Mike sm06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SimplyAC
Drag link problem solved! Just snagged a drag link and a tie rod off Ebay!
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4828317205_3d3571999e.jpg[/img]
$35.00 including shipping for both - still cheaper than what Simplicity wants for just the drag link which is $70 bucks. The produce stand and garden seem to be taking practically all my time so I haven't gotten around to cracking open that transmission yet. But at least I got me a drag link! sm03 Mike sm06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×