Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PeppyDan

The Problem, the cause, and the fix!

PeppyDan
My Sunstar with a loader gets allot of use around my place and sometimes gets used to lift things it was just not meant to lift. This is what happened when I did that a few days ago! OUCH!!!

This is the end of the tractor that I was trying to lift when all of a sudden "BAM" the front of the Sunstar dropped and I said "OH SH**" I have lifted the back of these tractors before but I forgot about having 200lbs of wheel weights in the back!

I limped the Sunstar back to the workshop with the worst thoughts of what I just broke! I guessed this was not going to be a quick easy fix but after jacking the front end up the broken parts just about fell out. 15 minutes later and one 1/2 x 2 grade 8 bolt to reattach the axle link and it was back in shape!

I'm very glad that a bolt seems to be the weak point in this outfit and would have no problems replacing it again as compared to repairing a more major component! Dan

comet66
Will the grade 8 shear like the other one did? I'm surprised that I haven't sheared one on my loader with all the counter weight I carry. Maybe I should check it out.

PeppyDan
quote:
Originally posted by comet66
Will the grade 8 shear like the other one did? I'm surprised that I haven't sheared one on my loader with all the counter weight I carry. Maybe I should check it out.
It will shear exactly the same...the sheared bolt was grade 8 and that's what the parts manual lists:D:D:D. Dan