Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bowhunt4life

64 Landlord Paint Question

bowhunt4life
I am working giving my landlord a facelift, and I have been using simplicity orange from my local simplicity dealer, at a cost of $11 a spray can. I have been told that the AC orange is the same and picked up a couple OEM cans for $4.99 from my local Fleet Farm. I am going to repaint an AC yellow tiller to match my landlord. I also have a few other parts on the tractor to paint. Any suggestions or recommendations on paint?

MrSteele
Strange that someone else has tried that particular paint at Lowe's. Guess what, though? It has been recalled in rattlecans, because the last shipment has a problem with the nozzles, and if you can't get the paint out of the can, it is useless. I started a project with it on a walk behind that has never been painted beyond primer, and now can't continue. A quart is around $10 bucks, though, if you have a sprayer. Be sure to read the instructions on it about recoating, or you'll have a nice wrinkle/hammer finish. The paint appears to be gas and oil resistant, not proof, but resistant if cleaned off quickly enough.

3314WV
I am doing an old Landlord and some attachments and i went to the local PPG auto paint shop and they scanned an old unfaded piece from the inside of my mower cover. They matched it up perfectly. I am doing it in base / clear.

bowhunt4life
I tried the Valspar OEM AC Orange on a part and it didn't match the Simplicity Powder Spray I got from the simplicity dealer. So lesson learned I am going to spend the extra at the simplicity dealer and I am using the Valspar on the tiller facelift. I took spray on bedliner and covered the underside of my tiller and then used the Valspar to begin the painting process of the tiller.

timflury
Ricky, How's about some before and after pics... And, if you would please let us in on what the damage is for the custom color match.... Enquiring minds want to know,,,,,,, Moreso me because I have a project where I don't really need to paint EVERY piece.

3314WV
will get some pics before i get going to far. Just retrieved the tractor a few weeks ago from Wisconsin while visiting my daughter. The paint is the PPG Shopline Base. There is no charge for the scanning service and the paint was 47.00 for a quart. The shopline base is around 60 for a gallon. I know everyone does not have a place to spray a gun but it will give you a good job and quart will go a long way. It mixes 1 to 1 so you really have a half gallon.

brockway
Ricky I just got my 64 landlord all finished.I used Persian orange #2.Took it to Riverbend tractor show it turned out awesome.Had a local guy make me some new decals really happy with them.