Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax_paul

Powermax Gas Cap

powermax_paul
I've gone thru so many gas caps on my powermax tractors. The domes break and act as a funnel for rainwater. Now I've got one thatthe plastic cap shrunk and it doesn't even fit the spout anymore. I'm reduced to putting a dog dish over the cap so rain doesn't get in the tank. Anybody know of a cheap replacement without the level indicator? Paul

Cityboy
On my 720, I used a cap that fit a Chevy truck. It was not anything special, but I'm sure you'll want the vented cap. It is domed, with the ridges on the outside edge, not with the tabs to turn it. Good luck! Dave

midnightpumpkin
Here you go Paul. I am using the spare cap I had for my '56 F-100. Here is a link to NAPA for the cap. [url]http://www.napaautoparts.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=BK_7031220_0243126778&An=599001+101956+50028+2028016[/url] John U

npalen
I guess the Allis 720 has a little advantage here in that the cap is covered by the tractor's hood. Still, I had a problem with mine shrinking. Had to put it in the lathe and machine out the inside so it would fit down over the spout. Good ole plastic!!!!

sammiefish
these things are a nemesis for all of us... the darn things are just not good for 40 years!!! on my 416 the dome is long gone.. .and when you fill the tank it spatters fuel all over when running... corrected by a very flammable shop rag over the top with the hood holding the spatters down... and at $25 each for a close replacement thats not happenin' maybe you want a barn to keep the rainwater off..... B)

mike_sdak
How about a replacement for a 917 allis? My 2 yr old son lost mine a couple of years ago, so I put a cap from a 4 hp briggs vertical shaft on it. It appears to fit and I don't think it has caused any problems thus far....