Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Center PTO Idler Pulley

joelk

The idler pulley on the center PTO for my 3112 is out too far and not in allignment with the other two pulleys. It has been this way for a while but I have gotten by by just allowing it to rub on the inside edge. Recently the belt broke (violently) and I would like to adjust this before replacing the belt. How can re-allign this pulley toward the inside? Is it a matter of bending the bracket? It does not seem obvious to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Joel, i have a 3314 that has the same issue. I compensated by installing a slightly wider idler pulley but i know that is not the permanent fix. Hard for me to see actually what it needed. I will be anxious to see what the experts say.

I just did a rebuild on mine and like Maynard said I had to bend the bracket. I had the PTO off the tractor so it was just a matter of sticking it in the vice and bending it back. It would be a lot harder to do with it on the tractor.