Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TOMT

MORE ADVICE NEEDED MSG 3511

Sandy_Lake_Imp
I sure have a thing for timeing myself out! happyjack@mediaone.net Hi Tom, Just a couple of things you might check if you already have not. Pull the gas line off the carb coming from the gas tank and see if the flow of gas continues to flow even for at least 1 min. with the gas cap in place. If the gas flow starts out with an even flow and then slows down take the gas cap off and then see if it starts flowing even again. If the gas starts flowing even again with the gas cap off then you know that could be your problem. If pulling the gas cap off doesn't make any difference then pull it off and blow air back up the gas line to the tank and see if it then starts flowing steady incase the screen in the tank is spuged or even has water in the tank. Do you have an inline gas filter?? If so check it for water of dirt. I had this happen on mine last week and I found that I had somehow gotten water in my gas just enough to cause the gas flow to stop intermitantly and my engine to run like you are discribing. Also check your float to make sure that it is not sticking by litely pushing up and down on it. Its possible that the carb quit leaking because the inerds dried out or there is not enough gravity pressure to force gas coming from the gas tank. Check the bolts that hold the carb on for tightness and if you can while the engine is running spray wd-40 around the carbs gasgets to see if the engine either speeds up or down if it does either then you have a bad or loose gasget. What happens when you try to adjust the carb while the engine is running or doesn't the engine run long enough??? Also check your governor springs and linkages to make sure that they are not binding at all and are free and you can watch the governor linkage while the engine is running to see if they are moving. To me it sounds like a gas problem or governor linkage problem but its like the blind leading the blind here. As for the starter generater pulling the engine down I have not seen this happen. Although I have seen the belt either fly offf or slip because of this problem. If you want to check this out just loosen the belt enough so that it will slip but still be tight enough to turn the engine over. These are just a few things that you may have already tried being simple ones at that but if not just some food for thought. Hopefully some others will see your post again and add somemore things for you to check out. Best of Luck and please keep up posted, >>->happyjack<-<<

TOMT
LOOKING FOR ANY ADDITIONAL INPUT (I KNOW THERE'S ALOT OF EXPERIENCE WITHIN THIS CLUB)!! JEFF,THANKS, I DID CHECK THE RING GAPS (APPROX .011"). IWAS TOLD IT SHOULD BE AROUND .003/INCH OF BORE.IT IS THE COMPOSITE IGNITION MODULE (PART # 398811). RYAN,THANKS, I HAD THE FLYWHEEL REPOLARIZED. IT STARTS GREAT & WILL THEN ONLY RUN FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES & STALLS(COMES TO SUDDEN STOP)!IT EITHER IS NOT GETTING FUEL OR THE SPARK IS DISAPPEARING. THE GAS LEAKAGE APPEARS TO HAVE STOPPED. I WONDER IF SETTING FOR A FEW WEEKS WITHOUT GAS CAUSED THE INITIAL LEAKING? ANY & ALL SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED. THKS, TOMT