Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Removing Pulley Question???

Bull_79

Well before I try to do this maybe there is a easy way,so just tell me how to do it? I already soaked the bolts with PB Blaster. I wasn't planning on taking this apart but as some of you saw in my build thread the huge mess under there I have to clean it up.THANKS! [IMG]http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww337/bcarbaugh/Tractor%20Build/TractorMotor001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww337/bcarbaugh/Tractor%20Build/TractorMotor003-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww337/bcarbaugh/Tractor%20Build/Tractor4001.jpg[/IMG]

remowe the two bolts. try to tap it with a hammer gently. it may come off by hand. some of mine i just had to break free. then they slid off. or get a pulley puller i bolted the puller to the bolts and removed mine

That is unbelievable.....after a good soaking in PB Blaster i would attach a puller to the 2 bolt holes and only place a moderat pressure with the puller. Let it sit for a while like that and it tighten a little more.....repeat that a few times and it should pop off.....a littl light tapping with a hammer could help as well......

After you remove the two bolts, if it doesn't come off, you can make a puller out of a flat plate, or use a harmonic balancer puller. If you make your own from a plate, just drill three holes in the plate, one in the center and the other two to match the driveshaft bolts. Put a third bolt in the center hole with a nut on the back side. Tighten the center bolt, then go back and forth between the other two bolts tightening them a little at a time till it comes off.

It looks like there are 3 bolts holding the pulley in there to the flywheel as well. I didn't really mess with it yet to much. Thanks for the help everyone very greatful.

A touch of heat from the Bernz - O - Matic on the hub will cause it to swell a tad and and you should be able to spin the pulley and work it off after you get the bolts off. The bolts shouldn't be a problem.

Either the heat or tapping from one side while holding a hammer against the hub opposite where you are tapping, and go all the way around. I have better results with Kroil or Gibbs penetrating oil. Tapping in this way works the oil in along the shaft. I don't like to use heat on such parts, but if you are careful, you shouldn't have a problem. Tapping the bolt heads might help loosen them, as well, without snapping them off. Slow is much better than fast, here.