Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BMinor8806

B-112 Vari-Drive Adjustment

BMinor8806
Guys, I adjusted my B-112 Vari-Drive today and it works great. However it seems like the belt gets extremely hot now from use. I adjusted the high speed and low speed adjustments per manual and now it is a bit tough to pull into SLOW but goes right up to HIGH. I followed all adjustments in the manual. Did I do anything wrong? Brandon

MikeES
Heat may be from the belt brake dragging on the backside of the belt, may need a slight adjustment. To go to slow you are opening the small drive pulley closing the large driven pulley...check for binding in the lever that controls this driven pulley...maybe just some lube. Take off the belt and operate the lever and see if it works the same in both directions. But keep in mind when the system is working correctly it will easily to go from lo to high than from high to lo. The physics of the belt running in the pulleys creates this. It is easier for the belt to climb the small driven pulley than for the belt to climb the large unpowered driven pulley. Using the Vari-drive in tractor pulling you can slam the lever forward and pull the front wheels off the ground, but to reduce speed is done in small steps.

BMinor8806
Thanks Mike, Today I was mowing with it and when I climb a hill the belt climbs the large pulley slowing me down going up a hill. Is this normal? Also the heat has dissipated from the belt. I'll try readjusting this weekend.

farmtoybuilder
Your belt could be worn out also! With a worn belt its not going to work same. Ours never did anyway) Check your variator pulleys for wear play-movement(with belt off) Loose-worn bushings and pins on them affects way they move in and out under load (extra pressure on handle if binding) and will cause belt wear and heat.