Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 RGB drive pulley question

RonHatch

Had the drive pulley off the RGB on my B10 the other day. I am wondering what is the thinking behind the "split" pulley design? Behind the rope starter pulley was an alum spacer and semi-clear vinyl spacer. Also the cast iron sheave was a very sloppy fit on the shoulder of the main part of the sheave. Is there some kind of bushing missing that would take up that play? Finally, is it OK to just replace the whole set-up with a good double groove cast iron pulley with a taper lock? I would like to simplify things and run my vacuum blower off of the second groove. Ron

Also the cast iron sheave was a very sloppy fit on the shoulder of the main part of the sheave. There should be a strip of the same material as the thrust waster (the white washer)about 1/2 in wide and long enough fit the shoulder of the sheave. They call it a bearing I guess for lack of anything else to call it. I'm going to guess the pulley is split to act as a clutch,allowing you to slip the clutch to control speed. If you have the pulley for the vac I would use it.

i read some where? the split pulley is for a smother take off. giving you more control and a smoother ride i have a solid pulley on one of mine, the front wheels jump off the ground, lol

found it http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/prices/compare_features.htm The BIG TEN's belt clutch with its very short belt and exclusive split pulley design allows slippage, just as in automotive clutches. This helps to eliminate jerky starts

Thanks guys for the information. I'll make a new 1/2" strip and install it so everything is back to stock. Jerky starts are certainly not good for the transmission/driveline.

This is great information. I have a grabby clutch issue with the Landlord 101 I bought recently. I have an original dealer service manual for the tractor. I replaced the spring on the clutch pedal, which was broken, checked the idler pulley and made adjustments per the manual with no joy. I bet I need to look at what Willy is talking about in terms of how that short belt is connected to the BGB. It's probably not original or correct. Incidentally, original service manuals are helpful in that they give the method and order of operations for tearing down. However, the over simplified, exploded drawings do not identify or describe the parts in the drawings. For example the exploded drawing of the BGB gives only a minimalist representation of the parts and gives no info as to whether it is a vinyl shim, a bearing, a thrust washer, a split pully etc. Obviously they had a parts manual for that. Service just means order of operations and methods.

[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Clutch.jpg[/img]
Item 32 is the strip bearing 2026054 Item 34 is Washer Thrust 2026053 Both # are A/C #