Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb Issue

Simplicity_728

This is on a Crapsman rototiller that belongs to my nieghboor. Its a 3hp Briggs with a suction carb. The problem is that it will run but flood out. I have replaced the diaphram, diaphram srping, and let it soak in carb cleaner overnight. Still no improvment. Any body know what would cause this? Model: 80202 Type: 2369-01

Having a similar problem with one a bit older on a Merry right now. Did the same things you did. Mine has that nasty bolt beside the exhaust that you can never tighten with a wrench. Tightened it a bit with a hammer and screwdriver, and much of the problem disappeared. The next thing on my list is a needle, it may not be seating or adjusting as it should, as I constantly have to play with it to keep the engine running. It has the spring in place as it should, but. It is a different carb, but, similar, and still one of the best Briggs made of the type, in my opinion. The basic difference in mine and yours is the choke action

Both bolts are tight. Adjusting the needle valve dosen't solve anything. I'm guessing yours has the slide choke right? This one has the lever on the side by the shroud and a flat paper air filter

Assuming by flooding you mean excess gas running all over. Not fuel starvation at speed, the usual problem with the sealed carbs. If it is the original carb it should have the not so famous sealed carb. They usually plug up from bad gas and starve for gas and can be difficult to impossible to clean as you can not get to the main jet. Only the main jet is sealed. The only adjustments are the idle mixture screw and the throttle idle speed screw. Idle screw base setting is 1 1/2 turns. Make sure the diaphram assy is together right ...spring first, little cap, then diaphram and cover. It may have some sort of restriction in the air intake or cleaner assy causing it to suck fuel way too much.make sure the choke is staying off. Not to worry you could get a good used tank carb assy of the older type push pull choke and bolt it on. May take a little linkage modification. Gary

I'll agree with Gary. If all else fails, change the carb. To a great extent, you can change across HP ratings, say from 3-5 HP with no problems, as the carb is adjustable and fuel can be adjusted.

here are few tips when working on any carb. get a good carb. cleaner spray. if it takes paint its good enough. get some small gauge wires, use them to clean ports.and passages as best you can. use a air compressor if you have one. then respray the carb. passages and ports. when working on diaphram carbs. pull it back apart, check your work, if your running too rich or choking,you may have torn the new diaphram by mistake. I have once or twice. make sure everything is clean as possible befor assembling. i let it set a few minutes to dry out and then reinspect again. also, sometimes things can warp. so you may need a second gasket, not common. but is a possiblilty. just a few things ive gathered from my work, and reading this site. wish you luck. wish i could be of better help. also edited to add. for needles take a little cleaner to them and then use your fingers and rub the tips. That usually cleans them fairly well. use clean cloths if wiping with cloth.

Dirtmister16: Thanks again for that hood and grill for my 728 The engine seized up on me. Got it broke loose but it's not looking good for it.

no problem, what engine is on that one again? i may have another that would work for it. has a generator/starter on it. so it may be a bit big. i forget what size is on the 728. id have to check what my engine is. let me know.