Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
donmoore1904

Question about slip-slop in a 3-speed transmission

donmoore1904
I was wondering - what would cause a symptom my 7010 3 speed has. If I am going over uneven ground, with changes in slope, my transmission seems to have a delay in responding. Let's say I am going from downslope to upslope. There will be a "pause" during which there is no drive. It is like I am coasting. Only lasts a second. Or, when going along under power, and then transition to a downslope, the tractor freewheels for a second, and then I feel the wheels holding back the tractor. I don't know if I described this well enough. I do know I won't be ripping apart my transmission to change anything. I have seen the exploded view. No thank you. I am just wondering where this slop originates, and if it increases with use.

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by 305SS
Check the bolts holding the side plates on and bolts that hold the bgb in place, Other wise it sounds like a worn out key way in the transmission?
This is a manual. Everything is tight ahead of the transmission. No play in BGB, all bolts tight. The tractor runs great otherwise, and everything is quiet. This loosy gooseyness in the drive is only noticed during an abrupt transition in slope. I assume it is in the tranny, but not ever having been in one, ? As I drive along, the steering wheel is loose left to right, and the drive is loose front to rear. I feel like mom in her big boat Caddy. My thought was also a keyway somewhere in the tranny. Maybe I will have to service or replace it at some point. Considering the high cost of the few BGB parts, it seems the tranny might be considered a throw away part.

Willy
Jack up the back end and with it in gear rock the tire back and forth and see if you can determine where the slop is. The steering you can ck.the same way rock the steering wheel and watch for the play.

dentwizz
I have my older 3spd apart on the bench as I await backordered axle bushingsC, and I will say I have had the same note on mine. The source is keyway slop. On mine with it apart I looked and it was minor enough that I won't worry with it. The good news is that if it is a key(and hopefully not a shaft) it is an easy fix and relatively inexpensive. Another possibility could be gear mesh wear, although I was rather amazed how little mesh wear was in my 64 LL for as worn as the externals were. As long as your inputs are all tight and your axle tube keyway(the one the differential carrier is keyed to) is not cracked, it is probably alright. In the same unit I did find a crack in said keyway and it was minor enough(1 inch long) to reweld without issue. Catch it early and you won't have to get a new axle.

donmoore1904
The only thing I have done so far on this is rock it back and forth in all three gears on the floor. I get the same amount of movement regardless of gear. The input is not moving when I do this. As far as my steering play - yeah, I thought it was in the linkage at first - turned out to be the wheel mounting as memorialized in another thread. Thanks.

HubbardRA
Don, I'm betting that if you pull the axle out you will find the slop in the keyways that attach the gear that drives the left side wheel to the axle. I had that problem many years ago when I was tractor pulling.

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Don, I'm betting that if you pull the axle out you will find the slop in the keyways that attach the gear that drives the left side wheel to the axle. I had that problem many years ago when I was tractor pulling.
Rod - I am having trouble figuring out what you mean. I have the diagrams here. The picture shows diffy on the left, mine is on the right. So do you mean the two keyways in the drive gear inside the tranny, in the "tube", or are you referring to a gear inside the differential? And, how much work to get where you are referring to, to confirm the condition? (note I originally said I wasn't planning to, but I would like to). Thanks!

HubbardRA
The diff is on the right side. The gear that drives the right wheel is attached to the right side hub. If you remove that hub and then a couple of washers you will see the gear that drives the left side wheel through the long axle. It is the keys attaching this gear to the axle that I am talking about. When I first bought my 61 Wards around 25 years ago I had this problem with it. Mine got so worn that I actually sheared the keys off. When I tore into it, the keyways in the axle were wobbled out so bad that I didn't consider it to be fixable. I replaced that axle, the hubs, the gear and diff with those from a 1977 AC716H. They are still in it today and I have not had a problem since then.

donmoore1904
quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
The diff is on the right side. The gear that drives the right wheel is attached to the right side hub. If you remove that hub and then a couple of washers you will see the gear that drives the left side wheel through the long axle. It is the keys attaching this gear to the axle that I am talking about.
Thanks Rod. I believe the gear you speak of is referred to as the Differential Gear, which appears in the exploded to be "inside" the differential. I see the axle poking through the tube in the picture and it makes sense now (though I don't know how those 8 little gears work). I will dig into this thing sometime in the next week using your outline. I have the 3410 to possibly borrow parts from. Far too many projects. The old 7010 did just haul a few 400 lb loads up my 15 degree sloped property, so she ain't dead yet.