Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower mod help needed

OrangeMetalGuy

Ok I have the std. Simp 36" snowblower. I am getting ready to sand/prime/paint etc. but first I want to get the mechanicals right. I plan to drive this off the center PTO (on a 716H). I don't want to add a front PTO and have another lever sticking off the right side. So... do I cut off the two pulley arrangement shown in the pics? I know I need to leave the stubs on that go into the axle.

You have the front 2 pulley hitch. Here is a pic of what you need ..This is for the 7100 or 900 allis. If you put it on a 7000 or 700 allis you need to bend one of the tabs and get a different size belt.

There was also some discussion about changing the position of the pulley on the mid pto. On the 7100 series one must reposition the pulley depending on whether one is running a front mounted accessory or a deck. This maybe what Burntime was meaning when he stated you have to bend the tab a bit. Rick.........

I made a similar conversion last year. Before you cut anything off, you need to weld another cross member above the existing cross member. After the new cross member is welded in, you can cut the old bottom mounted cross member off as well as the clutch bracket. Then mount the pulley tab. I don't have a pic of the 7100 series single pulley hitch available, but, if memory serves, the flat part of the cross member is vertical and the tab to mount the single pulley is "S" shaped and welds to the cross member pointing forward. I'm sure you're aware you're converting a FDT tractor hitch. As can be seen in the following pic, the ears to mount the snowblower head aren't as long as the new RBT hitches (both 2 pulley and single pulley RBT hitches have the same length ears) so the belt from the center PTO will have to be shorter than stock.

I can't tell if the snowblower head is also from a FDT. If it is, the driven pulley will be smaller and probably should be changed out to avoid over-speeding the blower. A 7" driven pulley is the stock setup, but I believe the max size pulley that will fit is about 6 1/2" due to the different belt tunnel design between the FDT and RBT snowblower heads.

Good catch, that is the front engaugement hitch. I did not even see that. Yep, it is shorter and the blower would be too close. You would need to do some major changes to it. It can be done. Heck, I make the single pulley hitchs. One tip is if you extend it make sure you knock the corners off the front or it will bite on the blower...

Here are the 3 hitchs to compare...On a side note, you may need to extend the spout rotator so you can reach it as well.

A couple more pics. The pulley is a 5".

So if I understand correctly, I have the hitch in the middle pic (in Burntime's post) and need the one in the top pic?

Yes, you also need to measure the distance from the blower to the section the hitch fits. Some of the allis blowers are shorter for the fdt. It works, its just tight and you may need to bend the lift arm some...

What I see is a B model blower trying to go on a 7016. That means you have a B model hitch and the smaller pully on the blower, and both need changed. I would not mess up the B model hitch if it was me, hard to come by.

You know, I would almost kill for tha thitch you have there. Are you Saint Johns, Michigan? I'd trade you for the one I have (burntime's third) and you can cut and weld on that one.