Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

WARNING to those as inexperienced as I

AC_B-1Novice

1. Deck bracket breaks. 2. I clean all the grass off and weld a quick temp fix to finish mowing. (I’m not a welder) 3. Deck weld breaks just before I finish. 4. I run to the shop to do a quick weld fix in order to finish. 5. In a hurry... forget to clean the grass off. 6. Deck catches on fire. :O 7. Fire can’t be put out easy, no fire extinguisher handy. 8. Finally I get the fire out and the tractor won’t start. 9. I spend two days replacing burned wires and geting rid of melted plastic. 10. Wires replaced and engine runs again. (A real blessing considering I don’t know what I’m doing.) 11. This time THE DECK COMES OFF. 12. Cleaned the deck of all old grass and hosed it down. 13. Ready for another attempt at welding. 14. All finished if all goes well once the deck is back on. Please remember and learn from my mistake! Always take the deck off to weld on it. Also I did my welding in my shop and could have easily lost everything in it including all of my wood working tools and nearly everything I have for other repair jobs. The fire was very hard to put out and I was worried about the gas hose burning through. I did manage to push the mower out of the shop and get the fire put out outside. :I Boy I'm dumb sometimes. Doesn't pay to get in a hurry. Larry

quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
1. Deck bracket breaks. 9. I spend two days replacing burned wires and getting rid of melted plastic. 10. Wires replaced and engine runs again. (A real blessing considering I don’t know what I’m doing.) :I Boy I'm dumb sometimes. Doesn't pay to get in a hurry. Larry
When times are tough you seem fight your way out of the sacred "gunny sack" pretty good.;)

Hey Larry look how much smarter you are now. I think everyone has done something stupid now and again. I'll think real hard and see if I can remember something dumb that I have done. (nope can't think of a thing):D The main thing is no one got hurt.

quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
Doesn't pay to get in a hurry. Larry
Amen Brother!! Glad it all worked out, and thanks for the reminders!!

I hate to admit it, but I laughed when I read this. I think the reason I did is because I have done far siller things. Yes, it pays to plan as much as possible, and then execute. Take yesterday - I drilled out a few bunged up holes, and then drove to a hardware store hoping to find a metric bolt midway between 5/16 and 3/8. Turns out there isn't one, or it is a rare size (M9). What did fit right in this hole was a toilet tank-to-bowl bolt. Everyone knows they are brass and will shear if you over-tighten them. I reminded myself through example, then picked up the 3/8 bit and redid the holes. wW all do it, it is just a matter of how serious the consequences are. Glad it all worked out and works.

Glad to see it worked out OK. Most of us have those days once in a while, well except maybe Willy;):D. We just dont come right out and admit it. Good reminder though to think safe Greg

Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully everything turned out OK. As far as having those kinda day I have those kind of weeks.:D

A few months ago I was out cutting the grass with the Sunrunner and when I was done I parked it in the shed. When I got off I looked at something else I heard a little noise.It was the mower starting on fire.Good thing I keep a fire extinguisher next to the door.Put the fire out right away but did some damage.ALWAYS KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY IN THE SHOP. 1 expensive carb switch later it was running again. Don't forget to get a new extinguisher after. Bob

When doing any welding or torch work i have the water hose handy. I have set grass on fire,a mower, and my pants leg. Also i keep 2 fire ext. in my garage. My 3 cents worth.

Very good additional advice. I could have used it earlier but will remember it in the future. It is funny when I read some of these posts but I know they were not funny at the time. Bob...good thing you your hearing is ok, I may not have passed that test. Thanks guys, many more will benefit from your being honest and telling all. larry

No...when you're in the middle of the yard and it happens, it's funny. When you are close to or in structures---not so much.

Yes,I think most of us have been there in one way or another.Last winter I was welding and thought to my self man my arm is getting warm lifted my shield to see my shirt which was rolled up on fire!Now I wear a welding jacket.

last week i caught a push mower on fire while welding the handle bars back on.By the time i got to the fire extinguisher the gas tank had caught on fire but surprisingly didn't hurt the mower before i got the fire put out.