Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity_728

Which is better? SAE 10W or 10W-30/40

Simplicity_728
Just a quick oil question. For winter use what is better? SAE 10W or 10W-30/40. I can find SAE 10W at fleet farm for 1.50 a quart. I dont often use it below zero so I dont find 5W-20/30 nessecary and I tryed synthetic 10W-30 in summer and under heavy load it drank it like water. 8hp Briggs I/C shortblock with approx 100 hours

I'm using Mobil 1 5w-40 diesel oil year around (it's also rated for spark engines also). The diesel oil also has more zinc in it for better bearing and camshaft lube than the newer oils). [url]http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf[/url]

Simplicity_728
In summer with lows in the 70's and highs in the 90's with SAE 30 it uses 1/16 of an inch every week if under heavy load and none if under normal load. With convetional 10W-30 it uses 1/16th of an inch every 4 days under normal load. With Mobil 1 10W-30 It used 3/8 of an inch in 2 hours. Im sticking with petrolium oil.

cp1969
Diesel rated oil is what I use in my air-cooled engines, but conventional oil usually comes in 15w-40 weight. Rotella makes 10w-30 diesel oil but it is harder to find. I run 10w-30 Rotella in my diesel Kubota and 15W-40 Chevron or Mobil Delvac in my Onan powered Cub Cadet.