Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Which is better? SAE 10W or 10W-30/40

Simplicity_728

Just a quick oil question. For winter use what is better? SAE 10W or 10W-30/40. I can find SAE 10W at fleet farm for 1.50 a quart. I dont often use it below zero so I dont find 5W-20/30 nessecary and I tryed synthetic 10W-30 in summer and under heavy load it drank it like water. 8hp Briggs I/C shortblock with approx 100 hours

I run 10w-30. A long time ago I was told that it is a more durable oil then 10w-40? Don't know if it is true but it always stuck in my head.

Check out this link, you will know more than you want to. :D http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108232&SearchTerms=oil

I'm using Mobil 1 5w-40 diesel oil year around (it's also rated for spark engines also). The diesel oil also has more zinc in it for better bearing and camshaft lube than the newer oils). [url]http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf[/url]

It's in an unheated barn. I tryed Mobil 1 10W-30 and it drank it like water so im not impressed with synthetics.

In summer with lows in the 70's and highs in the 90's with SAE 30 it uses 1/16 of an inch every week if under heavy load and none if under normal load. With convetional 10W-30 it uses 1/16th of an inch every 4 days under normal load. With Mobil 1 10W-30 It used 3/8 of an inch in 2 hours. Im sticking with petrolium oil.

If you are consuming oil at either rate, you have bigger problems. I'm surprised you hadn't mentioned any smoke or leaking issues.

Since it was oil change time I picked up a jug of Briggs and Stratton SAE 30 which is blended for air-cooled engines.

Diesel rated oil is what I use in my air-cooled engines, but conventional oil usually comes in 15w-40 weight. Rotella makes 10w-30 diesel oil but it is harder to find. I run 10w-30 Rotella in my diesel Kubota and 15W-40 Chevron or Mobil Delvac in my Onan powered Cub Cadet.

I use 10-30 in most stuff but Straight grade Rotella 30W in the smoky or hungry engines in the summer. Interestingly, I find it at Walmart now.