Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Source for Kevlar belts

MrSteele

My simplicity dealer is about 75 miles from me, and occasionally, I convince him to send parts UPS to a farmer down the road who uses AC tractors exclusively. Last year, I stopped at a local tractor parts store to get a deck belt in a hurry, and he told me that he could have a Kevlar belt the next day if I would pay the shipping. Long story very short, I got a set of belts for my Landlord so the shipping would not be so terrible on the one belt, and an extra deck belt in case. He buys from a source called A&I (Agricultural and Industrial) Parts. The deck belt is still like new, and the other belts were not needed so are still hanging on the wall. I got 4 belts, including shipping for around $30 bucks. Your favorite parts store might want to see the attached link. Anyone can buy from them online, but a dealer would get shipping at a reduced cost. Here it is: http://www.pixusa.com/index.html. I checked on a Sears belt last week online. The price was $2.78 plus shipping. I purchased the belt from a local parts store, just because if we do not support them, they may not be here when we need them, for $18.50, and it was not Kevlar. Talk to your local parts provider, he/she may want to be an A&I dealer. The belts are great!

That is great to know. I don't know about your neck of the woods but quality belts around here are VERY hard to come by. Only one SImplicity dealer around and it is not very helpful, especially for the older machines. Thanks

We sell Pix at work, they have the double v-type belts used on some of the B-series, my only complaint is that they are made in india.

I purchased one on e-bay for 14.80 shipping included, it was a 3/8sx39" belt for the s&g on my B-110 but it doesn't get much use.Are all of them red?

Sandy Lakes Implement Can get you any Simplicity belt and in most cases you will have it in one to two days. Yes and Simplicity belts will out last the kevlar belts on mower decks and snow blowers.

Rotary brand kevlar belts are red. TSC has a light blue kevlar belt. I have been using a Rotary brand kevlar belt for past five years on my 48" deck. Haven`t seen anything yet that will out last a Simplicity belt for snowthrower on a B series tractor. But after I got The belt stops, I never had a issue since. Not much left that isn`t made in India, China or Brazil.

I recently bought belts from Sandy Lake. I live 2 states west of them and had them in a few days. I would recommend them to anyone!

I have had mixed luck with the Rotary red belts,and would not spend an extra buck for another one. But, this Pix belt on the deck looks like it will match or come close to the Simplicity belt I bought several years ago while I was working at another job that allowed me to drive by his place every week or so. I checked the belt a couple of weeks ago before I put the engine back on the tractor, and it was still tight, had not stretched noticeably since I put it on last year. I have not gotten around to putting a spring loaded idler on the deck since the new belt looks like it is going to last a while. I did ask the dealer one time why Simplicity belts were so high...his answer was "because they are kevlar", so I went in search of a decent kevlar belt.

Simplicity Belts are expensive because of the way they are made with Aramid Fiber Cord, NOT KEVLAR. The are made to run on the back side of pullies and in twisted applications. All other belts are made to only run on the V side of the belt and in a straight line aplication. Answers to Commonly Asked Questions V Belts http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11659 [img][/img]

[img]/club2/attach/UCD/BeltConst.jpg[/img]

Kevlar is actually an aramid, which is short for "aromatic polyamide", there are different knids of aramids, Para-aramids which Kevlar is, and there are Meta-aramids like Nomex. They are related to Nylon being another polyamide. I'm not an expert on this I just did a little Google search, and used Google dictionary.sm01

• 1 month later...
Not sure that Simplicity is wrong, just my dealer. The deck belt is still surviving, and my deck is the one without the factory or added spring loaded idler. In the last few days, I have been cutting grass that was about waist high, now only about waist high while sitting on the tractor. The Simplicity belt on the cross drive is looking like it needs to be one of the new ones, but the deck belt still looks like new. Granted, the Simplicity belt is a year older, so I can't really compare, but this week the tractor is doing what most would do with a tractor and bush hog. The neighbors can't believe this is the same mower I use most of the time in my yard. On another note, the rebuilt 10 HP is doing me proud. The 16 I took out never made me this happy. I believe a 16 should also have either a 2 belt cross drive to show any real progress, or a 5/8 belt instead of a 1/2" belt, otherwise, the extra horsepower is wasted on the single drive belt slippage. Just my opinion, though