Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
punt58

Simplicity 16GTH problems

punt58
I am having issues with my newly aquired tractor. The engine runs strong when the brake is on. When I release the brake, it seems to bog down. Is there an issue with the hydro tranny? Or is it an engine related problem? Any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

BMinor8806
Try engaging the PTO with the mower on to see if it' engine or tranny related. Someone could have changed the oil to a heavier grade or the belt / pulleys could be on a bind. Brandon

BMinor8806
Ok now you've isolated the problem to the transmission. Check the bearings in all of the pulleys with the belt off. Also check the oil through the filler tube and maybe change it and the filter.

punt58
Hey guys thanks for the help! I found out that the engine had a bad coil and only running on 1 cylinder. I will replace that and hopefully be back in business. If not, I will change the hydro oil and filter. Not sure when that was done last, if ever. If anyone has some tips on changing the hydro oil and filter, I would appreciate it. It sounds like it can be a real pain.