Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How Hot Should it Get??????

LesH

I have a Deutz-Allis 616-- has the 2 cylinder 16 HP vertical shaft engine with the original factory muffler. After i am cutting the grass for say, 15 minutes the hood above the engine gets really hot--I mean almost too hot to touch for a while. Is that normal?? I have new oil filled to the correct level--- SAE30. The shroud I removed and there is no ghrass-- no mouse nests. No grass on the head fins. The muffler is not restricted-- no holes either. The engine is not bogging down during it's run time... Any ideas or suggestions?? Thanks.

Les. My 919 with the Kohler makes the hood hot but I don't worry about it because it is the same now as when I got it 11 years ago. Seems to run OK and I cut a little over an acre of grass every week. B10Dave.

My 5200 has the 12.5 twin, and after cutting for an hour in this heat the hood is also very hot. I would make sure the oil is up, air filter clean, and should be good. The foam "divider" on the top front of the engine, came off long ago. Was thinking of replacing it some how, and see if it would help keep it cooler. Should draw more cool air from rear hood vents, and not from the carb/hot front side of the engine. Hate to think of the B&S cost for the part... :p

As long as the engine is kept lubed with good quality oil and there is no parts out of "spec" it should be acceptable. Some designs, especially air-cooled do run hot. I know a few 18hp opposed briggs engines(later development) use a metal "shield or divider" between the exhaust and block. They make a few insulating products for hotrod cars to fulfil that application as well. Dynomat I believe is one.