Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
osenga

motor swap

osenga
OK need some help here I have a 917 hydro with a manual lift and all is good and no motor for it . Then I have a 18 GTH L good motor and the rest is shot th rearend in it is cracked frame about rusted out and the rocker arm is froze up . but the motor is very strong no smoke . SO to put this in the 917 frame i have is it just that simple to drill the new holes needed to mount the CH18S in it and hook all up and go. or am I over looking anything here. I made the templete to drill new holes in the same place as the GTH L was at this is all I see I need . Any info would be great here going to drill the holes monday or tuesday when I have time . just have a couple things to do to it first before i do that .

osenga
I was out looking at the 917 frame and where the motor is going to bolt down the front 2 bolt are going to be in the dip down in the frame when I drill this and sit the motor in it should I just shim it up with a couple washers and call it good to go that would make it flush with rest of the frame

cwm1276
My command has about a 3/8 inch plate under the motor to shim it up to the same height as the original twin. The new engine is then bolted to the plate and holes just drilled in the frame to reach the nuts. The plate is bolted seperately to the frame.