Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

While I have the motor out ?'s

Bull_79

While I have the motor out of 1964 LL what would you recommend I do as far as tuneup? The coil looks pretty bad but it still works and with all that mouse nest being in there rusted it up pretty good. Thanks and if you didn't already check out my build thread in Show and Tell.

well, long as it is out. you could pull the head and clean it, check points, maybe replace as preventive maintence. maybe pull the carb. bowl look see if it looks grungy, if it is perhaps a cleaning is in order. could just rebuild it, lol. it is out of the tractor. haha. give a general check over is what i would do. if you want to and have the time take it down to the block and clean it and repaint. make it look good is always nice, and easier to work on.

^^^^^good point AL, i had addressed his motor questions, did not think to go to the next logical step on the tractor. that is why you take a second opinion on things. something else on the tractor that could be checked over while the motor is out and makes things eaiser. check your front axle if you have any play go ahead and address what you can, it the front bushing is wore, find new bolt, and bushing replace. Perhaps your have steering gear or linkage issue, check and see how things look. I forget how easy it is to check the gears with the dash tower in, but seems to me its not terrible.

Ok thanks all good stuff,I will check all of these that's why I ask these questions because you guys have all been there done that.

no problem, its a community thing, were here to help. heck i dont' know nothing compared to most of the guys on here. im still a learning these old things.