Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas line shutoff valve

OrangeMetalGuy

I installed one... my question, if I am good about shutting it off after I shut the engine down the only gas that can possibly leak into the engine is what's in the carb bowl, right? Is the main problem the float seal? (Kohler K301). How many members have installed the electronic valve that opens when the ignition is on... and how do you like it?

I have never worked with the electronic ones, but have an inline valve installed on all of mine. Never have a problem with gas leaking out or into the engine. I always mount it so that it is as convenient and also as conspicious as possible so I am not tempted to not use them. I buy the plastic ones that are a quarter-turn on or off. They work great! Good luck. Steve

I have a shut off on my 1964 Broadmoor, I usually shut it off before putting it in the shed and let it run out of gas. Just something that I have always done- not right or wrong I guess!

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
I installed one... my question, if I am good about shutting it off after I shut the engine down the only gas that can possibly leak into the engine is what's in the carb bowl, right? Is the main problem the float seal? (Kohler K301).
What you have in the bowl will not drain into engine with the valve off. The quickest way way to solve the problem is an inline valve. The carbs I have the very least problem is the Tecumseh's. I have have three Tecumseh powered products with shut off valves but rarely use them.

I used the plastic one that NAPA sells, made in China and works like a charm. I never had gas leak into the engine (B&S 10hp), but mine was onto the floor. With the valve, as soon as I shut her off, no leak at all. I have since rebuilt the carb - I am sure it was the float that was the cause of the leak.

I chased my aunt's BS 8hp leak for a day and found out the currently available seal on the needle needed the "rubber coated" needle AND the rubber seat. They changed the rubber tip to a less malleable material that doesn't seal as well in less-perfect carbs it seems. Regardless I use those quarter turn valves in reach of the seat so that I turn it off before I roll into the barn(less waste and wait). Less carb smell when in the garage also.

I use my tank valve to close the gas line, should I put a plastic valve on the gas line instead of opening and closing the tank??

I added a plastic quarter turn (briggs and stratton, I believe) to my 917 fuel line. This was after a few times with gas in the oil on the KT-17. ((I think the KT-17 has more problems with this, due to the fact that the carb is above the engine)) It works nice, and is much quicker and easier than the tank needle valve on my 140 JD.