Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vicker hydrostatic transmission

Hello everybody, somebody know vickers# T66Z2AP811L545, because what oil to put in some people say motor oil 5W30 some say automatic transmission oil, in the transmission now as far I can see the oil look like dark purple???????? Thank Don.P (Montréal)

Ive always used the Simplicity Hydrostatic transmission oil. It used to be a purplish red but now it is a golden brownish color. This is what Simplicity recommends in the owners manuals. However, on my 1992 Wheel Horse hydro the owners manual says to use 10W30 motor oil. I really don't know why there is a difference between the manufactures but I try to stick with what is recommended in the manuals by the manufacturer of the product. On the older Wheel Horses the red automatic transmission fluid you use in cars is recommended. Makes one wonder doesn't it? Sam

Sam, surpizes me to see someone recomends motor oil inplace of a hydrlic oil because the detergent in motor oil can foam up under hydro presure. I'm with you on manufactures recomendation. In Tok Alaska climate I run all synthetic's because it flows around here. Leaks easier, but I just add more. MPH

The Vickers T66 used in all Allis & Simplicity applications used Dexron 2 ATF. Later Sunstrand units used the hydro/power train oil & some of the current Eatons want 10w30 engine oil. We still use Dexron in the Vickers as was originally specified. Bill

The Sunstrand site (I know different from your trany) basically leaves the selection of oil up to the manufacture of the equipment that the pump goes in. Simplicity recomends that you use their hydro trans oil or a transmission type fluid. A non detregent oil should also work but I would use the oil recommended by Simplicity or your dealer PhilD