Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine backfire - any suggestions

mroman59

I have a 21HP Kawasaki engine that is only 3 years old. I put it on my Simplicity 7117 as a repower project. I noticed the engine running rich as I inspected the spark plugs one day. Engine is out of warranty. Then eventually it started to backfire. I put new spark plugs in, new fuel filter, new air filter, cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor. I set the air pilot screws to factory specifications. It seems to run fine, however I cut some grass and when I turned it off, it backfired again. Any suggestions on what it could be or what to do next?

On some engines one is supposed to shut it off have half throttle, but I agree with Burntime allow the motor to cool down before shutting it off. Rick.......

Thanks, I have been setting on idle before shutting it off, but I am not sure if I am letting it cool down long enough. I can let it cool down longer or choke it to see if that prevents the backfire, however I still need to check it and see if it is still running rich also. Other than that, I may need to take it in to the mechanic and tell him to find the problem.

I have a JD with a Kohler v-twin that has backfired since it was new if you do not idle it down before shutoff. Just too much gas at high throttle.

i belive AL recently posted about this. on some of the newer engines they require shut down at near full throttle or 3/4 throttle. i belive that is what the jist of it was,due to a fuel solinoid?

I had this same problem with the KT-19 series 2 on my 7119. Manual says to shut it down at half throttle, which just seems wrong. I adjusted my idle speed about as low as I can, and with a minute or so of idle before shut down, back firing is gone. Mike

Half to 3/4 trottle, My command backfires when shut down at an idle. Yes Al had a good write up on the reasoning. I just learn to hardly over idle the new engines, they are also design to to cool better at higher RPMs than an idle.