Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

drive shaft

osenga

ok I have the CH18S in the 7114 now and all bolted down and wired back up still have to put all cables on it yet and the gas tank in it but When I got all the wires in the correct place I put the battery in to make sure it turns over and nothing hooked up wrong (I have done that a few times) and wow it was . but I noticed the drive shaft has very very slight wobble at the most 1/16 at the must . WIll this hurt any thing setting it up for my dad to mow a lot that takes about 20 min max and he only does it 2 times a month if it is lucky to get that

Hate to ask a stupid question, but do you mean at the bevel gear box? If so, 1/16" sounds like a lot in my limited experience. I am thinking that translates to about 0.030 to each side if you grab the shaft and pull side to side. I seem to recall that my loose one had about .015 of similar play. This wore the bevel gear key on the front shaft, which resulted in a nasty chatter.

Loosen the bolts and push the driveshaft sideways to see if you can remove the offset. There is usually a small amount of clearance between the bolts and the holes they go through. You may be able to line it up by just moving it a little then re-tightening the bolts. Driveshafts are not perfect and being a little off-center does not hurt anything. The driveshafts are light and small in diameter, so they will not produce much of a vibration unless they are off by a large amount. Also make sure that you have not pulled any tension on the flex plates when you tightened the bolts. I always let the rear yoke float on the BGB shaft till the driveshaft is bolted up, then I tighten the set screws. Tension on the flex plates can cause a vibration and premature flex plate failure.

Thanks Rod redid the yoke and put it back on and tighted the set screw last which I usually do . Dont ask what can happen when you forget to thighten it up Ouch . and now I can feel alot better know this shaft dont have any wobble that I can see now , And thanks for the advice