Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mech123

4041 fuel issue

mech123
i replace the fuel line and return line on the tractor..unit ran fine.. i removed both lines to install the heat shield and now unit will only start then kill... i thought i lost the prime in the line so i manually primed at fuel pump. with a clear filter i can only see small amounts of fuel pumpimg into line. when i remove the return line and crank engine fuel spurts everywhere.. i though the return line is for any excess fuel not handles by the carb bowl?? 2nd is it possible to install an electric fuel pump??? the carb area is not to friendly with the heat shield in place. thanks chris hoping not to have to pull carb again...

D-17_Dave
It's likely you have a piece of the old fuel line in the inlet of the carb above the needle. You'll have to remove the carb, remove the elbow and clean inside this port. Now the bad news.... If the old style mechanical fuel pump diaphragm is failing it will continue to put debris in your fuel system and you'll repeat this problem over and over. Yes you can install an electric fuel pump. I have a large article on the subject in another forum outlining the process and weighing the benefits and issues. But at this time without being a paid member you will not be able to access this forum. But I hope this helps.

rm
hi i have a john deere!!!! lol i have a problem priming it when i run out of fuel. thought about a match and some marshmallows a couple times, i placed the fuel filter between the pump and the carb. when i have to prime, i use my air compressor low pressure just so theres a little air flow, open the drain on the carb, place my hand over the gas tank and apply air until i have a good stream. out of the carb. this may be the wrong way to do this. but it works well for me.

D-17_Dave
These carbs do not have a bleed screw and petting pressure over 3 to 4 psi is asking for all kinds of problems not to mention a possible vapor explosion. I think what he's describing is a fuel flow problem, not a re-firing/priming issue.

mech123
thanks dave i just joined now an official member..im in minnesota and toady its just plain hot out. soon i hope i will take the carb off again and peek at the needle.. but i did see the article on the fuel pump... i like very much.. definately be able to adjust the high speed fuel mixture that way... i picked up 2 4041's both have decks, got a plow blade with the cylinder, drag box, and two boxes of spare parts... brand new starter...brand new alternator...brand new regulator and rectifier and numerous small stuff...only 1 has the 3 point on it.. this is the beast i speak of. i have a 36" tow behind tiller that i am going to be using the 3 point with... did a little playing with my welder... anyway thanks chris