Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
genesee_john

Neighbor's 2003 Conquest Starting Problem

genesee_john
I did a favor for my 81 year old neighbor. Naturally, it's turned out to be a problem. I replaced the the fuel lines from the filter up to the carb and replaced the valve cover gaskets. BTW, there was a very small hose behind the main carb hose connected to the carb just hanging loose. Is this a vent hose? Went out this morning to take the tractor back. Just a 'click' and no crank of the motor. Spent hours today swapping the battery and solenoid from my 2004 Conquest. Cleaned the ground cable including the bottom where it attaches to the motor. Checked everything I could could think of with my OHM meter using the repair manual. Going to pull the starter tomorrow and take it to the Simplity dealer. Any thoughts? Did I forget something? Thanks, John

Al
Hi, I would suspect the starter gear is jammed against the flywheel. This is not uncommon. Either turning the engine in the normal direction will release. If it is really jammed loosen the starter mtg bolts and try to turn the engine. This happens if the plastic gear is getting worn and the helix is dirty or gummy, or if the battery is a little low with the upper issues. I would replace the whole gear and drive assy. Al Eden

genesee_john
Al, Thanks for the tip. Standing in front, is the normal direction clockwise? Do I have to remove the cover or can I disconnect the battery, take the belt off and use a socket to turn the crank a little? I forgot to mention today I tried jumping the tractor with my Buick and just a 'click'. Do I have to remove the oil dipstick before the starter? Then, just unbolt the starter? Thanks again! John

s_stephen
Yes the small hose is just a vent hose. I just worked on a conquest on Monday and looked into what the hose was and it is just a vent hose. Standing in front of the tractor turn the flywheel clock wise and as Al said that should un jam the starter gear but if it is jammed bad enough you will have to loosen the starter bolts and turn the engine to un jam it.

genesee_john
Turned the flywheel a few inches and it started right up. I had a load test done on the battery and it failed so will install a new one for the neighbor this weekend. Thanks again for the help! John