Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Uncle_Bob

Shuttle Transmission

Uncle_Bob
I have a 7016S garden tractor and it needs constant adjustments to the belts etc. I would like to pay someone to come to my house and turn this into a 3 speed regular transmission with reverse or install a hydro transmission unit. I live in Suffield, CT.

IronPony
Do you have the manuals? I have a 1978, 712S that I have had for at least 8 years and never had to adjust anything on the shuttle transmission. My 712S is the same tractor as yours with a 12 horse motor and the Allis Chalmers name plate. If you have a dealer near by it might be more worth your while to take it in and have the dealer make the adjustments for you. Changing your shuttle into a 3 speed or hydro is a major time consuming project. There are many posts on the site that cover the progress of making these changes. Check them out. Or, find another tractor. WELCOME TO THE SITE! ironpony33 aka Dan

Tiny
Bob, I could probably help you out if it's a Vickers hydo that you need as I've got a 3112H parts machine here. They had a newer and older version of that 7016 and I'm fairly certain the newer one had the Sundstrand hydro. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.??? Is your 7016 the one with the rectangular headlights in the grill which would make it the newer one or the type with the headlight pods on the outside with the 2 headlights in each one??

Brettw
Bob: You may be better off keeping your eyes open for a hydro or three speed. The labor, the costs, the hassles, the misc little parts you need to find or make to do the conversion, etc. can be a real challenge. You may be ahead of the game with a different tractor. Most of the attachments will fit the new tractor, bolt right up and go.

ardisam
Bob, I had a shuttle in my 7114. The best thing I ever did was replace it with a hydro rear end that I got for $100.00 from a Simplicity 7012. I agree with Brett on replacing it with another tractor, or see if someone wants sell a hydro rear end. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114H

OrangeMetalGuy
Agreed. Swapping in a hydro rear is actually pretty simple.. unbolt the linkage and remove the 4 bolts on the BGB... install hydro, and bolt up the linkage, and done. Took me 2 hours, and the hardest part was lining up the holes on the BGB with the frame ('cuz I did it without a helper). Make sure you get the longer hydro control arm with the hydro rear, and your frame has the lower bushing for it.