Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3410H Landlord log splitter

jb3179

I have the crazy idea of builing a Log splitter to work off of the vickers pump in my landlord. I think the two ports in the top of the valve body are auxiliary ports, is this so? Furthermore I can't find an operating pressure for the t66x pump only that it is a 19gpm @ 1800 rpm pump. Does anybody know where the relief valve is set on those pumps? Any other soild infor would be helpful.

I wonder how slow? The vickers t66 pump is 19gpm but i dont know the pressure at a particular rpm or the relief valve setting in that pump so I can properly match a cylinder to it. I also have to wrk out the small resivior problem on the tractor. I imagine onece i get the lines and cylinder filled with fluid I would only need a gallon or two of resivoir to supply fluid to the ram as it extends. I dont know I may back up and just design a splitter to run off the rear pto.

What about connecting a pump to the front shaft on your engine. Then all you would need would be the control valve, cylinder and resevoir.

That is exactly what I did and it works great. A buddy of mine welded a bracket that uses the front to pin holes (never did know what attachment uses those holes) and swing it up to the front PTO using a lovejoy coupling. Then I use two vice grips to lock it onto the axle and hold it in place.

I have been thinking about making a log splitter for my simplicity. I was going to try the unicorn splitter screw head and modding an extra leaf vac I have so instead of the fans I could weld a table on and put the screw head in.

Joe, Case/Ingersoll makes a log splitter that works off the tractor hydraulics. It looks like a nice set up. I think it would take a lot of guess work out of project if you could find out the GPM and working pressure of their system along with the cylinder size they're using. I don't know why you need a large reservoir once both sides of the double acting cylinder a filled with fluid

Joe, I just checked the book on my 1989 4016 Ingersoll. The pump is rated at 8 GPM @3000 RPM. The travel circuit relief is set at 2000PSI and the lift circuit relief valve is set at 575PSI. I don't know about you tractor, but mine also has an oil cooler which is I think is pretty important. Hope this helps.

Any time you set up a hydraulic system that gets constant working and moves a lot of hydraulic fluid, like a log splitter, you will need a large reservoir. This is not directly to give the volume needed for the cylinder, but more to provide a large surface area for the bubbles (foam) to dissipate. If foam is sucked into the pump it will ruin the pump. This is why most reservoirs are large in their horizontal dimension so that they have a lot of surface area on top to allow the foam to dissipate quickly. They also contain much more fluid than is needed just to operate the cylinders. Cooling and foam dissipation are the major design factors.

The rating your seeing on the vickers is the oil moved by the rotor section, not the charge pump. The tranny pumps on these tractors are not designed to be used in this manner and will not work. That's the short answer, sorry if it's not the one you were looking for.

I would not, regardless of the pumps possibilities, build a splitter that would be specific to this tractor. What if you change? What if the tractor pukes? What if you want to take the splitter elsewhere, transport the tractor too? Just my opinion, but by the time you buy the parts, build the unit and make it specific, you could likely buy a used or even new splitter that you could drag around behind ANY tractor, AND have a saleable unit in the future. Just MHO BUT I think it's a novel idea.

• 4 months later...
Joe: Send me your email address and I can forward you the specs/drawings for the T66X. Just got them from Eaton Hydraulics technical support--good guys there. my address: mtbnest@gmail.com

Homeade Log Splitter. This was built by my dad over 30 years ago. It used to have a seperate motor, but a buddy of mine helped me weld up an adapter to the front shaft on the 3112H. Works great. Interesting part is the pump came out of a 50 ton quarry truck from the 50's. It was the power steering pump, and it is a Vickers. Still pumps well.