Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

restoring of to be simplicity 700

osenga

Well i have decided to start the restoring of the tobe simplicity wonderboy 700 . started tearing it down and thought the rear end would be the worst psrt . I know this will take me all winter but thats what I wanted . but today started out to a good day . will post it as i go wont see much after this weekend will be busy with the kids in there sports . just willl see where I get .

The rear actually wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be when I just rebuilt mine. A full tear down is not all that bad with 2 people just for handling purposes. It took me 4 wks to finish only because my dealer was backordered as long on the axle bearings(which I ended up ordering from partstree in 3 days). total labor time start to finish was more like 5 hrs. Which color are you using? I use Duplicolor "Hemi Orange" since the more common "Chevy Orange" is too red.

These rear ends aren't all that bad to tear down once one gets over the 'fear factor' of all them gears and things, Pretty basic wrench turning IMO. Cleaning the old baked/dried on grease and dirt is the worst part without a high pressure washer.

the window is making it look more red and the flash i think did that . Plus with that paint is the orginial color of them

He Guys one question now going to pull motor from frame tomorrow and start to get motor ready for primer and paint do I need to do anything special for this . And how do some of you have a tractor redone in 5 hours ????? I am taking it all down to 95% bear metal first so thats why it is atking so long . And on the rear end the spring was painted because I knew if i left it off iI would miss place that thing LOL

• 1 month later...
Well I was able to get back at it a little this week. Now it is starting to look like a tractor again. just hope i can get all the other small part for the rear end finished up this weekend and get them primered out atleast.just taking alot of time since I am taking it down to 95% or better bare metal. for how it looks as of now I am very happy with it just hope it all keeps looking this good to the last part

quote:
Originally posted by osenga
He Guys one question now going to pull motor from frame tomorrow and start to get motor ready for primer and paint do I need to do anything special for this . And how do some of you have a tractor redone in 5 hours ????? I am taking it all down to 95% bear metal first so thats why it is atking so long . And on the rear end the spring was painted because I knew if i left it off iI would miss place that thing LOL
The way I understand it is total labor time start to finish was more like 5 hrs to rebuild the 3 speed once he got his parts.

Correct, Ray;) I think it took me 5 hrs to do the paint on the hood, lol. The trans rebuild was 5 hrs start to finish. Paint is a much much slower process. Totaled up I probably have over 40 hrs in paint. :D Good progress, Osenga8D