Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
powermax_paul

Antique Disc – Comments Please

powermax_paul
I salvaged an old disc from the junk heap. For some reason, this old piece just fascinates me. It is much heavier, and has more adjustments than any new one I’ve seen in the stores. It’s made like it would be for a larger tractor, but it only has 11” discs. Using automotive terms (that may not apply to discs): TOE IN – TOE OUT is adjusted by positioning a pawl in any one of a number of dogs. There are enough dogs so that the disc gangs can be turned in, out, or completely around. CAMBER can be adjusted by loosening a square nut and repositioning a toothed bracket, that is just above the pawl & dogs (I don’t know why camber should be adjusted). CASTER can be adjusted by turning the crank, which is part of a Simplicity cultivator that I adapted as a disc hitch. In addition to the above adjustments, the discs can be moved side to side, or up and down, by releasing wedges holding the disc brackets. Lubrication appears to be oil applied through holes in each disc axle bracket. I even have the original (?) wooden oil hole plugs. Who made this thing..? When..? For what..? Any tips on adjustments or use..? http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/disc-seq.jpg

MPH
Dutch, you got yourself a nice REAL one there. My 20 year old son has been on a rage about our throw-away production nowadays, came from from New Mexico tech after a bussiness course with the problem. My point is, the ones you look at in the store fit that catagorey, like the MTD tracs at sams club. with oil holes instead of grease fitings I'd have to date it pre-tractor. need not tell you this, but, Enjoy..MPH

beamer
You sure are finding the treasures! I have a disk set very similar to that not as adjustable. It is actual two that hook together and have weight trays. They were made by international. I found it and a 36" harrow rake (ford) that used railroad spikes as teeth on a 100 year old estate that was about to be bulldozed. They were buried in the ground so that only the adjusting arm stuck up. I hope I can find a plow like yours. Keep sharing those pictures.

Dutch, It looks like it can be turned completely around so you can work the ground the first time throwing the dirt outward. Then, turn them around and then the second time throw it back to the center. The idea is the same as the large farm disks (where this process is done with 4 gangs of disks, 2 in front throwing out, 2 in rear thowing in) wheras the ground is moved twice to cut and knock the dirt off of weed roots so they die.. NICE PIECE!!! Marion W. Kerr

Les
My guess is that your disc was designed to throw up beds for large scale vegetable growing operations. A disc is actually a more efficient soil turner than a molboard plow, esp. in light(sandy) soils.