Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

joelk

Will this work?

joelk
After degreasing the axle tube on my 3112H I found that the tube was cracked, not just the seal as I had hoped. I plan to get another tractor and have a few options. Will my 42" blower 990564 work on a 2010 landlord? What about my 48" deck? I tried to look it up but it isn't clear. It seems to me the blower should work with the shaft, but I would like to know before getting it home. By the way, if I do nothing on my axle (it looks pretty bad), will I get any more running time, or will it just disinigrate? As always thanks for all of your help.

HubbardRA
I have heard of people who made clamps to fit over a cracked tube and used it that way till they were able to locate the parts needed to replace the broken tube. I really do not know much about this type of failure, since I have never broken one. If it were me, I would probably replace the whole transaxle.

OrangeMetalGuy
You can use a big muffler clamp on the tube to get you by until you get the parts. You can change the tube with removing only the right side of the trans case. Not too bad of a job... just remember to coat everything with a little grease as you reassemble so that the parts stay in place (as you'll be sliding it back together horizontally). PM me if you want to discuss further or via phone.

dentwizz
I fixed a cracked tube on mine just recently while I was doing the transmission rebuild. Assuming you can produce a closed position of the crack(make it meet), undercut the crack into a "v" groove, then follow by mig welding with attention to filling it in and getting it hot enough. It is easier than most items to weld since it is so thick. Grind smooth and voila its done.