Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sudden Sputter ..... Update

Bailey

After about 45 mins of mowing with the 3410s and it suddenly developed a sputter or miss. Also, you could hear it having to work when mowing uphill where it hadn't struggled just moments before. After a few minutes it acted like it was going to stall. I hit neutral, turned off pto and dropped the throttle and it finally settled into a smooth idle. Continued to mow, with the sputter, as a quick once over revealed nothing obvious. Half hour later, stalls again, this time completely. Restarted with a small puff of black smoke, finished the job and parked it. Next day will start and idle, but can only give it throttle if the choke's half out..... I'd think it was something in the carb, but it was rebuilt this winter and has a new filter in place. Any other idea's ??? After pulling and cleaning the main, I fired 'er up and mowed the barn yard tonight, which is the tallest thickest grass I've got. She ran like a champ..... with the shuttle in third gear. Still not sure what was up, but so far so good.

My 3410 would start hard, and start missing and chugging when you advanced the throttle. Changed the points and condenser, solved the problem.

It actually starts right up easy ..... though it would be a good thought, but it's got one of those little do-dads ..... no points/condensor. Thanks for the suggestion though....

Change your spark plug. If no improvement, try readjusting the carb. The vibration of the machine sometimes causes the adjustment screws to work in or out.

I'm guessing it's not the gas ....it get's regular use and I'm at the bottom of this particular 5 gallon can. The tractor's not seen rain in the 2 yrs I've owned it ...... I'm gonna pull the main from the carb and maybe the tube. If that doesn't work, I'll swap the plug. Let you know in about an hour ......

Well, I won't know for sure until I try to mow again ..... but, I pulled the main needle and let the bowl drain cleaned and re-set the needle. Started right up and ran perfectly fine. Can't imagine what might have been in there, new filter and carb rebuild. Oh well, hopefully it's that simple ............

Come on Bob .... what do you mean by "when"? don't you mean "if"? :D Seriously though, you're probably right on the "when". I didn't find anything really wrong, so it's bound to reoccur. The fuel filter was full the whole time, so I don't think it's flow from the tank that's the issue. But, to your point, could be something beyond the filter, blocking fuel at the float valve.....