Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repower 725

jackpot21n

Has anyone here repowered a 725? What motors can be used? I want to repower my 725 and I am looking at a 10hp Briggs I/C. Or I would really like to put a Kohler K241, like a 10hp or so. Would either of these engines work. I have a newer briggs "L" head 8hp but it is considerably smaller than the cast iron oldie I had in there. It also does not fit the flywheel. If anyone has any pics of their repower, please add. Especially where you connect to the flywheel.

I had a 725 w/ 9HP 23D in it. You either need the longer LL drive shaft and push the motor forward or to cut a hole in the frame for it to fit.

I would be totally down to put a diesel in it!! That would be awesome. I dont know anything about what would fit or what a good diesel would be. That being said though, I dont want to spend a fortune on a motor either. What hp is a 23D. I dont even remember the hp of the motor that was in it. The model # is 200401. I think it is either an 8 or 9 but nit sure and the label is worn off. I am really open to put anything in there as long as it still looks nice. Would a V-twin fit possibly? I dont mind if I have to cut a little bit of the frame but not to get carried away. The biggest issue for me is connecting the driveshaft to the flywheel. Why couldnt they just connect to the output shaft of the motors?

I have a K321 Kohler 14 Hp in my 61 Wards. I have also had a K301 from a Cub Cadet in it and also a B/S 243431 10 Hp in it. With a little attention to detail you can put most single cylinder engines in it, without hacking the sheetmetal or the frame.

The K321 bolted right up to the driveshaft. I had to make some spacers, but the holes were the right spacing. Back when I had the Cub Cadet engine in it, I had to make an adapter plate to hook up the driveshaft. The cadet engine had four bolts on a much smaller circle than the simplicity. I cut a plate and drilled the four holes to bolt to the flywheel, then I drilled the two wider spaced holes for the driveshaft. I used spacer washers between the flywheel and plate that were just enough to clear the head of a 3/8 bolt. Before I installed the plate on the flywheel I put two long bolts through the plate with the heads toward the flywheel. After the plate was installed on the flywheel, I put spacers on the long bolts and bolted them up to the driveshaft. I could insert an open end wrench onto the bolt heads behind the plate to hold the bolt when tightening the nuts. Hooking up driveshafts is not really difficult. If you need spacers between the flywheel and the driveshaft, you can use a stack of washers, or cut two pieces of tubing. Just make sure both spacers are exactly the same length, same with a washer stack.