Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

John Deere 400

I have a chance to buy a John Deere 400. everything works but the engine smokes. Cosmetically it is average for a tractor of its age. It comes with a disc, a homemade ripper, and a mower deck. Any ideas what it may be worth? thanks

go for around 800 to 2000 in my area depending on a lot of variables...the 400's don't bring what the 420 or 430's do becaue they are kind of there own machines with there own attachments...some call them the black sheep of the deere family...they are heavy brutes and the hydraulics are nice but that green paint is hideous!!!!

Simplicitys are in fact my favorite, I just happened to run across this one, and I know several members have experiance with other brands of tractors. I appreciate the advice on value.

Good tractors but hard to find attachments and expensive when you do because they are sort of the Red Headed Step Child of the Deere family.They have the same rear/hydro set up as the Large Masseys,Ford and the like where the 420 had the same setup as the 20HP Sunstars

Hi, They are very rugged tractors. Their weakest point as with all of the earlier series John Deeres is the lack of a very tight turning radius. They have power steering and good hydraulics. The K532 Kohler is a solid engine, but when it is replaced with a 25 hp Command it turns this tractor into an animal. Al Eden

These guys will take care of you. http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/ It is my understanding that the Deere garden tractor owners have NO free access to manuals in PDF like we do.

mine did not have power steering in fact it had very little steering could not find parts at JD either 16hp Kohler was tough hydraulics great snow blower good mower deck well tractor was good

i actually have had a 400 and now...i'm afraid to say here, own a 420 and the difference is night and day....don't worry, i still have a few simplicity/ac's...the 420 has a much better turning radius and steering is a lot smoother..plus the attachments are easier to find as u can use some 300 series attachments...i found the 400 with deck with a junk motor for 500bux, repowered it with another used kohler and sold it..it was a beast..if you are going to be spending over 1500 i would hold out for a 318, sunstar, or 420...the 420's are a little more but if you want a deere the 318 is very nice and a good one can be had in that range...i would have gotten a sunstar but there are hardly any attachments in my area for one, where as there is deere junk everywhere!!!!the 420 is a monster though!!!good luck!!!weekend freedom machines is a good site for info, but not as good as this one!!!

As I have assorted and sundry junk to play with, I have another link. Try www.mytractorforum.com. Go to the site and look for your brand. They have a forum for almost everything made in the lawn and garden brands, ages, sizes from walk behind up to large tractors. As for manuals, try www.manualsonline.com. Again, they may have or may not have your manual, but do have manuals for about everything I have ever looked for, including many Simplicity manuals. Washers, dryers, other major appliances are also listed there for many brands.

Went to an auction today a 420 with deck that ran and operated looked pretty good bought $1250,parts 400 with no engine been sitting a long time bought $60