Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7119 Voltage Regulator

Bucky33

Hey all, I have a 7119 with the original Kohler Engine in it. I have been having an issue lately that my new battery is dead everytime I go to start the tractor. I just got around to checking the voltage at the battery while the engine is at full throttle. It came in at 19 volts. This seems high, does anybody know what voltage the regulator should be set at? I don't want to go and buy a new battery if I need to replace the regulator as well. Thanks Bucky33

Best bet is just get new voltage regulator, most likely its going bad. On second though, the stator might be dirty, thats behind the flywheel, that would requrie pulling the motor out.

The voltage is definitely too high and that may have damaged the battery so it no longer holds a charge. Does the battery hold charge with one of the battery terminal wires removed? If it does, then there's a parasitic drain somewhere when the key switch is "off" slowly discharging the battery while it's sitting. With the switch "off", the "+" battery lead disconnected, the resistance from the cable end to ground should be infinite.