Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Al

old stuff

Al
Hi, I have quite a bit of the old 2 wheel stuff, I have several Simplicity tractors, and the remains of several more. I have some reel mowers, various sickle mowers, cultivators and parts thereof, single blade weed mower, a couple of single blade rotary mowers, a Wards Plow Track and tiller that for the time being I want to keep (my brother gave it to me) a 3 blade front lawn mower, a front blade or 2. Also a 5 hp Sears, plow, disc, I think a harrow, mowers, blade and some other things. Also a good Gravely model L, sickle mower, sulky. 30" rotary brush mower, rotary plow and some other items. The Gravely has good paint, but ran , but not smooth all the time. I ordered new points and condenser, not in yet, spark was intermittant. I have wanted to restore a bunch of this stuff along with some Cushman and Vespa motor scooters. I essentially lost 2 years of my life with having our house wrecked in the 2008 flood and some heart and medical problems. Two years and 105,000 later after living with our kids for nine months the house is nearly done. I totally abandoned the repower business development depended on my employees to run the shop during this time. I am so involved in trying to get the John Deere kits on the market and get caught up for the 2 years of neglect. I am starting to realize that I will never get around to restoring these tractors due to time constraints. It seems like the flood aged me more in 2 years than the previous 10. I am 72 and was out in Portland Ore visiting my son last Christmas and we were talking. He said: Dad you have so much stuff with various value, and if something happens to you no one in the family knows what it is and as a result it will probably be sold to a scrap yard. I thought about it and realize he is right. My first commitment is to grow the Repower company and get the John Deere kits on the market. I am realizing that I need to house clean. It would kill me to see this stuff go to scrap instead of someone that would appreciate it. I guess as you get older and see that what you are going to do next fall for the last 10 years and you haven't been able to find time to do it, you never will. Al Eden

ReedS
Al, I'm not even close in age and have the very same problem, so much stuff, no where near the time to work on it all, only I have a clue to the value of some of this stuff, my only child will probably not want much to do with any of it, a honey do list that continues to grow, social events, a life to live and Mother Nature who decides who she's going to slap at any given time. Just this week my own home was struck by lightning, and IMO I am very fortunate to be able write these very words. Insurance will cover 90% of the cost to repair the damage but it's up to me to get it all scheduled and contact the contractors and I was hoping for a vacation! Ha! LOL

Al
Reed, I understand, if we had still been in the basement getting stuff out when the wall came in, I would never have gotten out, makes us realize how insignificant we are relative to nature. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Al

powerking_one
Al, Regarding your Gravely L tractor and ignition problem. If it is an early Wico (circa 1950-1962) mag and it has the brownish color "wrapped" coil, then it is in all likelyhood BAD. After working at the Gravely dealer for 4 years in my youth, this was the case about 99% of the time. The replacment newer Wico mags/coils were a black plastic moulded type and pretty much never failed. Just something to check before going down a rat-hole troubleshooting nightmare. Gravely also used Fairbanks-Morse mags, but coil failures were also almost nil on them. Tom (PK).