Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
FTG-B10

B-10 starter problems?

FTG-B10
Hi guys, I have a starter/generator on my 243431, and it seems to be bad, the engine when attempted to start spins really slow, it spins until it hits the magnetic spot on the flywheel, and stops, then it goes again after about a one second wait. We even hooked my brother's car battery up to it and still did not spin any better. So we are thinking the starter has some problems in it, any of you know what could be wrong with it? Does anyone know if I can get these fixed as opposed to getting a new one?

rm
is the batt charged? try to jump the starter with a set of jumper cables. check your terminals, batt, starter switch, solenoid (if equipped) make sure where your generator mounts to the block is clean (ground). battery ground too, battery ground too may be on top of motor there is a company near me that can rebuild it

FTG-B10
Well, I brought it to get tested today and it was in fact bad, he said it was "overcharging", it was getting hot and had broken some of the wires. He also said it would be $110+ to get it fixed, maybe up to $150. So as of right now I am just using the pull start option, it is a pulling tractor, so it doesn't need to start every day, not too much of a hassle. I may put a starter back on it someday (If I fully restore it someday), we will see.